Following the huge success of the Redmi 4 in India, Xiaomi has just unveiled the phone’s successor in the shape of Redmi 5. It’s not the first time we are talking about the Redmi 5 here at TAS, but it’s the first time the phone is making an official debut in the third largest smartphone market in the world.
The Redmi 5 has been selling in China since late last year and its launch counterpart, the Redmi 5 Plus, was launched in India on Valentine’s Day as the Redmi Note 5. Folks in India will be getting the same phone as those in China – and the specs are as listed below.
- 5.7-inch HD+ 18:9 full-screen display with 2.5D screen edge
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 chipset
- 2GB + 16GB and 3GB + 32GB memory options
- 12MP rear camera with f/2.2 aperture, LED flash, PDAF, HDR, etc.
- 5MP front camera with Beautify 3.0, selfie countdown, face recognition and up to 1080p video recording.
- 3300mAh battery
- Android 7.1.2 Nougat
- Bluetooth 4.2, microUSB, 3.5mm audio jack, rear-mounted scanner, 4G LTE, etc.
The Redmi 5 is available in four color options of Gold, Light Blue, Black and Rose Gold. Pricing starts at just INR 7,999, with the 3/32GB variant going for INR 8,999.