On this page, you will find all that you want to know regarding the Indian Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 software updates. If you are interested to know all about Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Android Oreo, Android 9 Pie or MIUI software update news, this page has everything you need, including any other non-official software update info for the budget phone.
Before going any further, it’s worth noting that the Redmi Note 5 is a rebranded Redmi 5 Plus for the Indian market. That is, outside India, this very device is known as Redmi 5 Plus, hence, the info on this page also applies to the Redmi 5 Plus. For software news related to the Redmi Note 5 Pro, which is also known as Redmi Note 5 AI Global in markets outside India, check this page. With that out of the way, let’s move forward.
Redmi Note 5 update timeline
- Also known as Redmi 5 Plus outside India
- Android 8.1 Oreo released on August 30, 2018
- Android 9 is not expected
|Date||Software version||Download link||Changelog|
|12 Nov 2018||MIUI 10.0.4 (stable) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||November 2018 security patch, fixes for camera and DND issues, and more|
|25 Oct 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.25 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||Bug fixes and performance improvements|
|18 Oct 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.18 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and performance improvements|
|11 Oct 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.11 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and improvements|
|21 Sep 2018||MIUI 10.0.2 (stable) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Installs stable MIUI 10 ROM|
|20 Sep 2018||MIUI 10 8.9.20 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and improvements|
|13 Sep 2018||MIUI 10 8.9.13 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Multiple bug fixes and enhancements|
|06 Sep 2018||MIUI 10 8.9.6 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Camera bug fixes and improvements|
|30 Aug 2018||MIUI 9.6.5 (stable) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Installs stable Android 8.1 Oreo update, adds Face Unlock for some countries (including India), camera fixes, battery drain fixes, and more|
|30 Aug 2018||MIUI 10 8.8.30 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||Bug fixes and performance improvements|
|23 Aug 2018||MIUI 10 8.8.23 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes|
|16 Aug 2018||MIUI 10 8.8.16 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||July 2018 security patch, fixes for Dual Apps issues, and more|
|26 July 2018||MIUI 10 8.7.26 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Fixes for issues with the front camera, system UI, and more|
|26 July 2018||MIUI 9.6.4 (stable) | Android 7.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||
Updated system apps and Improved performance and stability
|24 July 2018||MIUI 10 8.7.24 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||
Bug fixes and performance improvements
|19 July 2018||MIUI 10 8.7.19 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Multiple bug fixes and performance improvements|
|12 July 2018||MIUI 10 8.7.12 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Fixes bugs and improves performance|
|03 July 2018||MIUI 10 8.7.3 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||Installs MIUI 10 beta based on Android 8.1 Oreo.|
|01 June 2018||MIUI 9.5.11 (stable) |Android 7.1||Recovery update||NA|
|24 May 2018||MIUI 8.4.24 (beta)| Android 7.1||Recovery update||NA|
|14 May 2018||MIUI 9.5.9 (stable) | Android 7.1||Recovery update||NA|
|20 Apr 2018||MIUI 9.5.4 (stable) | Android 7.1||Recovery update||
Fixes for Fingerprint copy wasn’t updated, The icon and battery level weren’t always displayed consistently, and Feedback kept relaunching in some cases
|30 Mar 2018||MIUI 9.5.3 (stable) | Android 7.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Resume interrupted transfers in Mi Mover without starting over, Revamped start page and optimized performance, Quick search options, and more|
|12 Mar 2018||MIUI 9.2.13 (stable) | Android 7.1||Recovery update||Improved system stability and optimized system performance|
Redmi Note 5 Android 9 Pie update
- Android 9 update not expected
- Unofficial Pie updates available already (Android Pie GSI)
The Redmi Note 4 was a very popular smartphone, perhaps even more popular than the Redmi Note 5. Still, the phone never went past Android Nougat, the only major OS upgrade it received. Granted, we don’t expect to see the Redmi Note 5 receiving two major OS upgrades, the second one being the jump to Android 9 Pie.
On the brighter side, Xiaomi devices are very common in the developer community and in fact, you should be able to choose from multiple Android Pie custom ROMs for your Redmi Note 5 by the time the year comes to an end. But of course, this requires some knowledge working with custom ROMs, so make sure you know what you are getting into.
Redmi Note 5 MIUI 10 update
- Stable update available
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 received MIUI 10 beta back in June 2018 and a stable version was released on 21st September 2018.
How to install an update on Redmi Note 5
You can grab the latest update for your Redmi Note 5 from the updates timeline section above. To install, follow any of the two guides below, although the simplest one is Method 1 below, that uses the Settings app itself to install the update.
Method 1: Using Local updater
- Download the recovery update file from the table above.
- Transfer the update file to your Redmi Note 5 if you downloaded it on PC.
- Open the Settings app, and tap on About phone.
- Tap on System update.
- Tap on 3-dot menu button in the top right.
- Tap on Choose update package.
- Browse and select the update file you downloaded above.
- The system will verify the update and install it automatically. When it asks for confirmation, do confirm to allow installation. Be sure to back up important data as the update installation may delete apps and data.
In case the above method doesn’t work, know that you can use the Method 2 below to install using the fastboot method.
Method 2: Using Fastboot
- You will need to unlock the bootloader of your Redmi Note 5 first for this as fastboot is locked by default. Take your time doing this.
- Download MIUI ROM Flashing Tool.
- Download the fastboot update file from the table above. Be sure to check that the file you downloaded ends with .tgz extension (not .zip).
- Turn off your Redmi Note 5 and press the Volume + Power buttons simultaneously to enter into Fastboot mode. Connect the Redmi Note 5 to your PC using a USB cable.
- Double click on the downloaded ROM file and decompress it.
- Open the file folder for the decompressed package and copy its path on your computer.
- Decompress the MIUI ROM flashing tool downloaded in Step 1.
- Double click on it to install on your PC.
- When the installation is done, open MiFlash.exe
- In its address bar, paste the folder path of the ROM file you copied above.
- Click on the yellow circled-out button to refresh and MiFlash will automatically recognize your Redmi Note 5.
- Click the red circled-out button to flash the ROM file to the device.
- Sit back and watch the progress bar inside MiFlash turn fully green, implying that the new system update has been successfully installed on your Redmi Note 5.
The Redmi Note 5 will reboot automatically and you have the update running.