January 14: Users of the Redmi 6 Pro have something to smile about this early in 2019, but only if you live in China. If you wish to try Android 9 Pie on your device, registration is now open in China. Of course, when the download is made available in the coming weeks, every interested Redmi 6 Pro user will be able to make the switch to Pie.
The Redmi 6 Pro is also sold globally, but there is still no room for this model. Xiaomi should, however, add it to the beta program a week or two after the Chinese model. Also, the fact that the Redmi 6 Pro is basically the same device as the Mi A2 Lite – which has already received an update to Android 9 Pie – it shouldn’t take long before the stable version arrives.
Original article below:
To find out all the latest software update news related to Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro, you have come to the right place. On this page, we have details about the latest software news, updates alongside their changelogs and download links for both minor and major software changes that Xiaomi makes to the Redmi 6 Pro.
Note that at the launch event, the Redmi 6 Pro was accompanied by the Redmi 6 and 6A. To check out the latest software update news for these two, follow the links below.
Redmi 6 Pro update timeline
|Date||Software version||Download link||Changelog|
|10 Jan 2019||MIUI 10 9.1.10 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||Bug fixes and enhancements|
|20 Dec 2018||MIUI 10 8.12.20 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes|
|13 Dec 2018||MIUI 10 8.12.13 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and optimizations|
|06 Dec 2018||MIUI 10.0.2 (stable) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||Installs stable MIUI 10.0.2.0.ODMMIFH update, bug fixes, and performance improvements|
|06 Dec 2018||MIUI 10 8.12.6 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and improvements|
|23 Nov 2018||MIUI 10 8.11.23 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and improvements|
|17 Nov 2018||MIUI 10 10.0.1 (stable) | Android 8.1||Recovery update||Stable release of MIUI 10 update and November 2018 security patch; MIUI 10 update brings new UI, natural sounds, gesture support, and more|
|15 Nov 2018||MIUI 10 8.11.15 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery ROM | Fastboot ROM||Bug fixes and improvements|
|08 Nov 2018||MIUI 9.6.10 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA available||Improved system stability and optimized performance|
|25 Oct 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.25 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery ROM | Fastboot ROM||Bug fixes|
|18 Oct 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.18 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery ROM | Fastboot ROM||Bug fixes and improvements|
|11 Oct 2018||MIUI 10 8.10.11 (beta) | Android 8.1||Fastboot ROM||Bug fixes and improvements|
|08 Oct 2018||MIUI 9.5.6 | Android 8.1||Recovery ROM||NA|
|20 Sep 2018||MIUI 10 8.9.20 (beta) | Android 8.1||Recovery ROM | Fastboot ROM||Installs MIUI 10 beta update|
|05 Sep 2018||MIUI 9.6.4 (stable) | Android 8.1||Recovery ROM | Fastboot ROM||Pre-installed|
Redmi 6 Pro MIUI 10 update
- Stable MIUI 10 global update released in India
On November 17, Xiaomi released its first MIUI 10 update for Indian users of Redmi 6 Pro. Coming in as software version 10.0.1.0 (ODMMIFH), the update is still based on Android Oreo. However, the MIUI 10 brings a lot of new features and new UI that is totally worth the update.
Related: How to install MIUI 10 right now
Redmi 6 Pro Android 9 Pie update
- Android 9 Pie update expected in Q2 or Q3 2019
Xiaomi hasn’t given out clearer details about when Android 9 Pie will be released for the Redmi 6 Pro. Still, we expect to see the device receive at least one major OS upgrade and that’s Pie, but when exactly this will happen remains unknown. Our guess is that this could happen somewhere in Q2 or Q3 2019
Xiaomi has been busy with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor and our hope is that this should ease the company’s works on Android Pie updates for the various phones using this chipset, including the Redmi 6 Pro.
Devices in the Redmi series usually get one major OS upgrade, but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take an early look at what Google is already cooking with Android Q, the natural successor to Pie.
Related: Xiaomi Android 9 Pie update news
How to install Redmi 6 Pro update using Local update method
- Download the recovery ROM file from the table above.
- Transfer the update file to your Redmi 6 Pro if you downloaded it on PC.
- Open the Settings app, and tap on About phone.
- Tap on System update.
- Tap on 3-dot menu button in the top right.
- Tap on Choose update package.
- Browse and select the update file you downloaded above.
- The system will verify the update and install it automatically. When it asks for confirmation, do confirm to allow installation. Be sure to back up important data as the update installation may delete apps and data.
In case the above method doesn’t work, know that you can use Method 2 below to install using the fastboot method.
How to install Redmi 6 Pro update using Fastboot mode
Like with Recovery mode, installing system updates using Fastboot also requires a PC, however, you also need an unlocked bootloader for this to work, alongside these steps (click here if your device is not unlocked):
- Download MIUI ROM Flashing Tool.
- Select your preferred MIUI ROM version from the list above and download the corresponding Fastboot ROM file. Be sure to check if the suffix of the ROM file is .tgz. If not, rename it to .tgz.
- Turn off your Redmi 6 Pro and press the Volume + Power buttons simultaneously to enter into Fastboot mode. Connect the device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Double click on the downloaded ROM file and decompress it. (You can also use a free software like 7-zip to extract file’s content.)
- Open the file folder for the decompressed package and copy its path on your computer.
- Decompress the MIUI ROM flashing tool downloaded in Step 1.
- Double click on it to install on your PC.
- When the installation is done, open MiFlash.exe to run the MiFlash software.
- In its address bar, paste the folder path of the ROM file copied in Step 5.
- Click on the yellow circled-out button to refresh and MiFlash will automatically recognize your device.
- Click the red circled-out button to flash the ROM file to the device.
- Sit back and watch the progress bar inside MiFlash turn fully green, implying that the new system update has been successfully installed on your device.
Your device will automatically boot to the new software version.