Xiaomi launched the Mi Note a couple of years back in 2015. It entered the market as the first product in the new ‘Mi Note’ series and it did manage to turn a few heads. Later the device was upgraded and now we have a few new iterations including the Mi Note 3 as well, which the company launched yesterday in China.
That said, Xiaomi smartphones are not particularly known for their software and the Mi Note is no different. At the time of the launch, this phone was running a heavily altered version of Android KitKat. And now, although Xiaomi is yet to officially reveal their Oreo update plans, it is hard to expect this phone to be upgraded to the latest version of Android. In fact, the company clearly denied the Nougat update for Mi Note earlier this year.
However, thanks to LineageOS community, this is not the end of the line for Mi Note as far as software is concerned. Yes, the new LineageOS 15 is now available for this phone with which you can get a taste of Android 8.0 Oreo.
A few days back, this update was made available for the Mi Note Pro and it was just a matter of time until the same was made available for the Mi Note as well. In fact, the update is already available for a variety of Xiaomi devices: Mi Mix, Mi 5S, etc. Be sure to check out our full coverage here: LineageOS 15 download and device list.
Coming back to the update, it is worth noting that this is an unofficial build of LOS 15 and hence, you are bound to face a few bugs occasionally. However, these minor bugs should be crushed with future updates, once the official build from official LineageOS channel goes live.
Xiaomi Mi Note LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Xiaomi Mi Note (codename: dior). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Xiaomi Mi Note.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Xiaomi Mi Note in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.