One of the strong points of Xiaomi Mi A2 is the promise of quick updates under Google’s Android One program. Be it major updates like Android Pie or monthly security updates, you shall have them in a timely fashion on the Mi A2. Undoubtedly, Xiaomi Mi A2 is an incredible device — so much that we even crowned it one of the best overall in the $400 (INR 27,000 approx.) range.
WARNING: Rolling back the Mi A2 to Android Oreo after updating to Android 9 Pie is not recommended because it may affect normal functioning or even brick your device.
Mi A2 software update timeline
|Date||Software version||Download link||Changelog|
|14 Dec 2018||10.0.2 | Android 9 Pie||OTA update||Bug fixes and performance improvements. The full version is V10.0.2.0.PDIMIFJ|
|15 Nov 2018||10.0.1 | Android 9 Pie||OTA update||Brings Android 9 Pie upgrade to the device|
|09 Nov 2018||9.6.17 (beta) | Android 8.1||OTA update||The full version is V126.96.36.199.ODIMIFE; comes with November security fix|
|02 Nov 2018||9.6.16 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA update | Fastboot update||November 2018 security fix; released as beta on 02 Nov, available to the public from 06 November|
|20 Oct 2018||9.6.15 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA update||October 2018 security patch; bug fixes and performance improvements|
|15 Oct 2018||9.6.14 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA update | Fastboot update||Bug fixes and security enhancements|
|20 Sep 2018||ROM 8.9.20 (beta) | Android 8.1||OTA update||Bug fixes and performance improvements|
|21 Sep 2018||9.6.13 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA update | Fastboot update||September 2018 security patch|
|02 Aug 2018||9.6.10 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA update | Fastboot update||August 2018 security patch|
|31 July 2018||9.6.9 (stable) | Android 8.1||Fastboot update||NA|
|27 July 2018||9.6.5 (stable) | Android 8.1||OTA update||NA|
Mi A2 Android Pie release date
- Released in India
- Available for download (see link in the table above)
Update [November 10, 2018]: The Android Pie update for Xiaomi Mi A2 has begun rolling out now. The update is available as version 10 (10.0.1) but only in beta right now, thus available only for a few selected users. Available for the public from November 15.
Check out: Best Xiaomi phones right now
How to install the Xiaomi Mi A2 Android Pie OTA update manually
- Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader of your Mi A2.
- Download this zip file that contains the image files of the Android Pie OTA update version 10.0.1 (its payload.bin file). Extract the zip file into a separate folder on your PC.
- Download the OTA flasher file from here. Extract its content into a separate folder. Rename this folder to a2-pie-update.
- Copy the image files from step 3 to the m2-pie-update folder.
- Connect your Mi A2 to PC.
- On PC, run the OTAFlasher.bat file by double-clicking on it.
- Wait, wait and wait until the long process of the bat file is finished.
- When you see Android Pie running on your Mi A2, you can disconnect the device from PC and start playing with Android 9.
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them in your comments below.