Asus recently released another Lollipop firmware update for the Zenfone 2 – one of the company’s best devices available in the market running the Android 5.0. The latest firmware build is available for download and manual installation for those who haven’t received it yet. The software version is v126.96.36.199, it’s brought in as many as 36 improvements. If you can’t wait and want to get your hands on the new firmware than don’t worry we’ve got it arranged for you.
Please note that this is not Android 5.1 update that many of you are craving for right now, it’s still Android 5.0 but it’s got truck load of improvements to make it worthy of update. OTA could be small one, butthe full firmware download we have here for manual installation is over 1 GB in size. There are stability fixes for many Asus apps, plus features additions in others. Go for it.
How to Update Zenfone 2 to latest Lollipop firmware manually
- ASUS ZenFone 2, ZE550ML variant, model no. Z008B, Z008C and Z008D (WW region)
- Don’t try on any Zenfone 2 variant or any other Zenfone device from Asus
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever
Disclaimer: Although updating your device using official firmware from the company doesn’t voids your device’s warranty, it remains a manual process and thus needs caution. It is advisable to take a full backup of your device so that you don’t loose your data in case anything goes wrong. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off, it’s good to have backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files. Hence, create a backup of important stuff in your phone right away.
- Confirm your Asus Zenfone is the right model for update. Go into Settings > About phone > Software information > Build number, and check the 3 pre-requisites mention below:
- Is your device’s model no. either of Z008B, Z008C or Z008D?
- Is your current software version V188.8.131.52 or V184.108.40.206 (may not work on later)?
- Is it a WW model? You cannot use any other region’s model, like CN, TW, etc.
- IF answer to above three questions is Yes, proceed to next steps.
- Download the firmware update for your Asus Zenfone 2 from here. File: UL-Z008-WW-220.127.116.11-user.zip (1.07 GB)
- Don’t extract the .zip file you got.
- Connect the phone to PC and transfer the file to your phone’s internal storage as it is. Don’t put it inside any folder or sub-folder of internal storage. Put it where you have folders like DCIM, Android, Movies, Ringtones, etc.
- Disconnect the Zenfone 2 from PC. Once you do this, phone should recognize the update automatically.
- Phone will show a notification saying ‘System Update File Detected.. Touch to start the system update’. That’s your thing.
- Touch the Notification to get a pop-up.
- Pop-up will show a filename of your update. make sure Lollipop update is selected, and then tap on OK.
- Phone will enter recovery mode and will install the Lollipop update by itself. When it’s done, it will restart automatically, and you can go to Settings > About phone to confirm the new software version.
Need any help? Shoot it in the comments section below.