The US version of the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T got the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OTA update a week ago. Now, ASUS has made available the Android 4.1 firmware files for the TF300T’s with the US, Worldwide and Taiwan SKU. Those that didn’t get the official OTA update or have an unlocked bootloader/custom ROM that prevents them from updating officially can use these firmware files to manually update to Jelly Bean.
The guide below will help you install the official Jelly Bean firmware manually. Keep in mind that if you already updated to the update for the US variant a week ago, or have a completely stock TF300T and got the official update already, you do not need to follow this procedure. This is only for those that can’t get the official update for some reason.
Let’s see how the TF300T can be updated to the official Android 4.1 firmware.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Update to Official Jelly Bean Firmware on Transformer Pad TF300T
- Check your device’s SKU through the following procedure.
- On the tablet, go into Settings » About tablet. Then, check the Build number.
- If the build number starts with “TW”, your SKU is TW. Similarly, if your build number starts with “US”, you must download the firmware for the US SKU. Similarly for WW, you need to download the WW firmware.
- Now that you have checked the SKU version of your tablet, download the corresponding stock firmware file from the links below:
- Now, extract the zip file downloaded in step 2 to obtain another .zip file, which is the update file we need to use to update the tablet. Copy this .zip file to the root of sdcard of internal memory on the tablet.
- Reboot your tablet after copying the .zip file to it. When it boots up, you will see a notification next to the clock on the tablet. Click on this notification, then follow on-screen instructions for updating the device.
- After the update is complete, your device will be running the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 firmware.
NOTE: If you want to root your device after the update or install a custom recovery on it, you can use the guides here and here to do so. This is optional and only for those who want to root and install custom ROMs on their tablet after the official update, as the older methods will not work any more.
The official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 firmware is now running on your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T. Do let us know how it works!
Also, do look at some custom Jelly Bean ROMs for the Transformer Pad TF300T → here.