Unlocking bootloader on your Android device is the best thing ever. It enables you to install custom stuffs like TWRP recovery, Custom ROMs, MODs, etc. Also, you’ll be able to root on the device using either SuperSU or Magisk if you install TWRP recovery after bootloader unlock.
Thankfully, for the Lenovo ZUK Z2 and Z2 Pro, unlocking the bootloader is a piece of cake as Lenovo has a transparent system in place to let users unlock the bootloader on their own risks.
Lenovo has an official way to let users unlock bootloader on its supported devices. However, the company clearly states that unlocking the bootloader will void a device’s warranty. So if a user is attempting to unlock bootloader on Lenovo devices it is on their own risk.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Lenovo ZUK Z2 and Z2 Pro
- On your Lenovo phone, go to Settings » About » Status information» and make a note of your device’s Serial number.
- On your PC, open developer.zuk.com/bootloader websiteusing Chrome browser.
- Once the is opened, right-click anywhere on the page and select “Translate to english” from the context menu.
- Read the terms & conditions and then click on the Carry on button at the bottom of the page.
- On the next page, select your device model from drop-down box.
- Next, enter your 8-digit serial number into Serial number box.
└If you’ve a 7-digit serial number, add a zero (0) to end. If you’ve 6-digit serial number, add two zeros (00) to the end.
- Provide your Email ID in the EMail box. Bootloader unlock files will be sent to this E-mail ID.
- Tick/check-mark the the two conditions above submit button, and then hit the SUBMIT button.
└ You’ll get a message on screen in chinese. It means, the unlock file has been sent to your E-mail ID.
- Open your email account, look for an e-mail from Lenovo and download the unlock_bootloader.img file from the mail.
- Put the unlock_bootloader.img file in a separate folder on your PC.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Enable Developer Options, USB Debugging & OEM unlock on your device.
- Connect your Lenovo ZUK phone to the PC.
└ If you get a prompt on phone’s screen to Allow USB debugging, tap OK.
- Open a command window inside the folder where you saved unlock_bootloader.img file in Step 10. To do this, open the folder and then “Shift + Right click” on any empty white-space inside the folder and select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Once command window is open, issue the following command to boot device into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once in bootloader mode, issue the following command to flash the unlock_bootloader.img file to the device:
fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash unlock unlock_bootloader.img
└ You will see a similar output on command window as shown in box below:
target reported max download size of 1610612736 bytes sending 'unlock' (0 KB)... OKAY [ 0.037s] writing 'unlock'... OKAY [ 0.053s] finished. total time: 0.090s
- Once unlock_bootloader.img file is flashed successfully, issue the following command to finally unlock bootloader on your Lenovo ZUK phone:
fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock-go
└ You’ll see the following output:
... OKAY [ 0.041s] finished. total time: 0.041s
- Reboot your phone to system using the following command:
That’s all. Have fun customizing with bootloader now unlocked on your Lenovo ZUK phone.