Sony launched the new Xperia XZ1 & the Xperia XZ1 compact just recently at IFA in Germany. These two smartphones were among the first batch of non-Google devices to feature Android 8.0 Oreo. However, what about the users who already own an older Xperia smartphone?
Well, Sony did answer this question for you and the truth be told, not all the smartphones will be updated to the latest version of Android. You can check out the Sony Oreo update roadmap here to know which Xperia smartphones will receive the Oreo update.
Unfortunately, the Xperia Z3 Compact is not on the list. It was launched in the year 2014 and Sony did manage to update it to 6.0 Marshmallow, but sadly, the Z3 compact users couldn’t even get a taste of Nougat, let alone the new Oreo update.
But don’t worry. Thanks to LineageOS, this is not the end-of-life for this smartphone. Yes, the new LineageOS 15 just became available for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, which means that you get to experience all the new Oreo features starting today.
Do make a note that this is the first unofficial build of LOS 15 for Xperia Z3 Compact and although it brings all the new Oreo features such as Notification snooze, Notification badges, Notification channels, Instant Apps, picture-in-picture, etc., it is expected to have a few bugs. But these minor bugs should be crushed with future updates, once the official build from official LineageOS channel goes live.
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Xperia Z3 Compact.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Xperia Z3 Compact in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.