The South Korean tech giant may headline the Android market with devices like the Galaxy S9 and S9+, but a large part of the company’s success also accounts for the mid-range affordable devices. The Galaxy J series is a part of this mid-range lineup, with the Galaxy J7+ from last year being a winner among price-centric Android smartphones that offers decent specs and build quality with the assurance of the Samsung brand.
Up until now, the Galaxy J7+ had been left hanging high and dry with no love from the Android developer community, but the year-old device is finally tasting the goodness of not just root access but TWRP custom recovery as well. Thanks to the work done by XDA member Albe69, you can enjoy an unofficial version of TWRP custom recovery and flash SuperSU to enjoy unprecedented freedom.
How to root the Samsung Galaxy J7+
Do not try anything given on this page if you do not know completely what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
The download files and the process for gaining root access given on this page are compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy J7 Plus, model no. C710F. Do not try this on any other device as you might end up damaging your device and permanently brick it.
- Install the ADB and Fastboot driver on your PC.
- Install Samsung driver on your PC.
- Make sure you have enabled developer options, USB debugging and OEM Unlock on your Galaxy J7+.
- Make sure you have enabled the ‘OEM unlock‘ option as asked in the pre-requisite section above. Disconnect your Galaxy J7+ from PC if it is connected.
- Download required files:
- Transfer the DM Verity disabler file to your Galaxy J7+. Keep the TWRP and Odin file on the PC.
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file Odin3 v3.13.1.exe (ignore other files from the extraction).
- Double click on the extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.13.1.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Boot the Galaxy J7+ into download mode:
- Power off your Galaxy J7+. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume down + Home + Power buttons together until you see the Warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Connect your Galaxy J7+ to PC now using a USB cable. Odin should recognize your Galaxy J7+. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in the bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until Odin recognizes your device and you get the Added!! message.
- If it doesn’t, you need to install/re-install drivers again and use the original cable that came with the device. Mostly, drivers are the problem.
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the TWRP file into Odin. For this, click the AP button on Odin and the select the TWRP file in the TAR format (twrp_jadelte.tar).
- In Odin, under the options tab, make sure the Re-partition and Auto Reboot checkboxes are NOT selected. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit the start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the TWRP on your Galaxy J7+. Wait till installation is finished, after which, you’ll get PASS message as shown below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do this all again. Disconnect your device, close Odin, boot device into download mode again, open Odin, and then select the TWRP and flash it again as said above.
- If you get FAIL in the top left box, then also you need to flash the TWRP file again as stated just above.
- Reboot into recovery mode to access TWRP recovery.
- Your Galaxy J7+ would remain in download mode itself — it won’t restart automatically because we turned off Auto Reboot above, to buy you time to boot into recovery mode from here. Read the point below fully before doing this.
- Press and hold Volume down + Bixby + Power button together until the screen goes off, but once the screen goes off, do this quickly: while still holding the Power and Bixby button, press Volume Up in place of Volume down button to reboot into recovery mode.
[In essence, when the device restarts (screen goes off), you must be holding Volume Up, Bixby and Power button together. We have press the Volume down + Bixby + Power buttons first to force restart the device from download mode.]
- Important! So, your device will boot into TWRP recovery. It would ask for ‘allow for System modification’. DO NOT ALLOW THAT. Do not swipe at the bottom, rather, select ‘Keep Read Only’ so that we can transfer the required files first that are required once you allow system modification.
- Now, you will be taken to the home page of the TWRP. Now, tap on Wipe option, and and then select Format Data option. Swipe now to format data partition, which deletes everything on the device. We need to do this to avoid errors/warnings like ‘Integrity verification failed’.
- Verify that Data is mountable.
- Now we would install the DM Verity disabler. Go back to the home screen, tap on Install button, then select the SM Verity disabler file. Then do the swipe action at the bottom to install it.
- Install the SuperSU file the same way as you installed the DM Verity disabler file.
- Now, let’s restart the device. Tap on the Reboot System button. Or from the home page of TWRP, tap on Reboot option, and then on System to restart your Galaxy S9, and it shall reboot alright.
Do let us know if you need help regarding achieving root access on the Galaxy J7+ of yours. Give us a shout in the comments box below.