The Motorola Droid RAZR and its big battery version RAZR Maxx owners can now overclock their 1.2 GHz dual core CPUs to get even more power out of it, or underclock it to save battery, thanks to an overclock/underclock method by modder coryjohn87 over at the DroidRzr.com website, who has made available several overclock and underclocking profiles that you can use to overclock and underclock your phone to different maximum and minimum frequencies.
Do keep in mind that overclocking is dangerous and can cause damage to your phone, so only proceed with it if you are sure of what you are doing and are ready to take the risks.
Read on to find out how you can overclock/underclock your Motorola Droid RAZR/Droid RAZR Maxx.
This procedure and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Motorola Droid Razr/Razr Maxx (GSM and CDMA version). It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
- A rooted Motorola Droid RAZR/RAZR Maxx with ClockworkMod recovery installed.
How to Overclock/Underclock Droid RAZR/RAZR Maxx
- Download and install the Script Manager app from Google Play (Android Market) on your phone → here.
- Download the Overclock zip file.
Download Link | Filename: mo_simp_1.5_spyder-signed.zip
- Transfer the file downloaded in step 2 to the root of your external SD card.
- Boot into recovery.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the overclock zip file mo_simp_1.5_spyder-signed.zip and select it. Confirm installation on next screen by selecting “Yes”.
- Reboot the phone after flashing is complete.
- Download the Overclock or Underclock profile of your choice from the original development page (you must register on the website to download the files).
Important! To download a profile, right-click on the download link, select ‘Save Target As’, then save it on your computer. (It will be saved as a text file).
- Transfer the download profile’s .txt file to your internal SD card.
- Open Script Manager from the apps menu on your phone. Browse to the overclock/underclock profile .txt file and select it.
- Then, press the Su button at the top of the screen, then press the Boot button. Then, press the Save button the top right corner of the screen.
- Reboot your phone, then enjoy using your overclocked/underclocked Droid RAZR/RAZR Maxx.
Resetting to Stock Clock Profile
In case you want to go back to the default clock profile, here’s what you need to do.
- Download the stock clock profile from the development page (again right-clicking to save it).
- Repeat steps 8 to 11 above to go back to the stock profile.
There you have it. Following the above procedure, you can overclock or underclock your Motorola Droid RAZR/Razr Maxx. Share your thoughts on how it works out for you, in the comments below.