After weeks of speculation and leaks, OnePlus finally put our minds at ease by officially unveiling the OnePlus 7T at the OnePlus Launch Event in India on the 26th of September. Following the trend, OnePlus 7T brought a bunch of refreshments to OnePlus 7-series, and of course, a new price.
Earlier leaks suggested that OnePlus would launch two 7T variants, the regular OnePlus 7T, and an all-powerful OnePlus 7T Pro. Thankfully, the company refrained from complicating things even further and launched a solitary T-variant this year. However, considering that the device has only launched in India where 5G is still a distant dream, OnePlus could indeed unveil a 5G-enabled Pro variant in October.
The OnePlus 7T can be considered a fusion between the regular OnePlus 7 and the more premium OnePlus 7 Pro. It borrows the higher refresh rate from the 7 Pro while maintaining OnePlus 7’s comparatively lower FHD+ resolution and teardrop notch.
The Chinese OEM has gone with matte frosted glass for OnePlus 7T’s well-built back and offers two color options — Glacier Blue and Frosted Silver. The camera mound has also been reworked and is now circular — a decision that hasn’t sat well with many people.
The design aspect of the OnePlus 7T may draw a bit of controversy, but take a look at its specs, and we’re sure we’ll have no qualms over its raw performance.
- 6.55-inch, FHD+, Optic AMOLED, HDR10+ display with an aspect ratio of 20:9
- 90Hz refresh rate
- OxygenOS 10 based on Android 10
- Snapdragon 855 Plus chipset
- 8GB RAM
- 128 GB UFS / 256 GB UFS storage options
- Adreno 640 GPU
- Triple rear camera — 48MP, f/1.6, wide primary camera; 12MP, f/2.2, telephoto lens; 16MP, f/2.2, ultra-wide with 117° field-of-view.
- 16MP, f/2.0 selfie camera
- 3800 mAh non-removable battery with Warp Charge 30T fast charging
Price and Availability
- INR 37,999 for 8GB/128GB and INR 39,999 for 8GB/256GB (Price in India)
- Will start shipping in the US from October 18th; starting price $599
- OnePlus Launch Event scheduled for October 10th in the US
OnePlus unveiled the OnePlus 7T in India on September 26th and confirmed that the device would be available for purchase starting from September 28th. After the sale goes live, it should start shipping in the following days.
In the United States, OnePlus 7T will start shipping from October 18th, priced at $599. As for Europe, OnePlus will unveil the device officially on October 10th. The Chinese company is yet to confirm when they’ll actually start shipping in Europen regions.
Should you buy OnePlus 7T?
The newly-launched OnePlus 7T is an impeccable device in its own right but should you spend your hard-earned money on a refreshed OnePlus 7? Or should you look for something “fresher?”
Reasons to buy
- Gorgeous 90Hz display
- Latest Snapdragon chipset
- Superfast software updates
- Reworked camera setup
- Latest Google OS Android 10 out of the box
Reasons to skip
- Sub-par FHD+ display
- Teardrop notch
- Questionable design, especially the circular camera bump
Apart from the lower-resolution display, there aren’t practically many reasons to skip the OnePlus 7T. The camera bump and teardrop notch won’t sit well with everyone, but we can’t really blame OnePlus for making those choices.
The latest offering from the Chinese OEM is a worthy addition to the famed OnePlus 7 family, and unless you’re really picky about the design of your daily driver, we’d strongly advise you to book the device as soon as the gates open.