OnePlus 7T Pro is the latest big name in the smartphone market and as expected, it irons out all the tiny flaws that the OnePlus 7 Pro had. Not only does it have a QHD+ 90Hz display like many other flagships, but it also gets its juices from a Snapdragon 855 Plus chipset, something even the latest Pixel 4 doesn’t equip.
While that’s already more raw power than you need to run the phone, you might want to notch it up a little by getting access to root privileges on the OnePlus 7T Pro. We already have a guide to root a OnePlus 7T without TWRP and now we have compiled a workaround to get root access to OnePlus 7T Pro without TWRP recovery.
Instructions to Root OnePlus 7T Pro without TWRP:
- Ensure your bootloader is unlocked.
- Switch ON USB Debugging on your OnePlus 7T Pro through Settings > Developer Options.
- Connect the OnePlus 7T Pro device to PC using a USB cable.
- Open Command window in Windows (or Terminal on macOS) inside the folder of the extracted content. Mac users can use Spotlight to search and open Terminal and drag the folder with the boot image into the Terminal window. In Windows, Command Windows can be opened by typing ‘cmd’ in the address bar of the folder’s window and pressing enter.
- Run the following command to boot the OnePlus 7T Pro into bootloader/fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
If you get a permission dialogue on phone to “Allow USB debugging”, click OK.
- Once your OnePlus 7T Pro boots into fastboot mode, run this command to install the patched boot image file.
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- Restart your OnePlus 7T Pro by issuing the following command:
- Once booted into Android, install Magisk Manager using its APK file. (Here’s how to install an app from the APK file.)
- Open the Magisk app. open its Settings, and make sure that the ‘Update channel’ is selected as ‘Stable’ here.
- In Settings, go to Advanced. Make sure that these settings are turned ‘On’:
- Preserve force encryption
- Preserve avb 2.0/dm-verity
- To install root using the Magisk Manager app now, do this:
- Open the Magisk app.
- Tap on Install.
- Tap on Install Magisk.
- Tap on Direct Install.
- Restart your OnePlus 7T Pro once more. Your device is now rooted and will retain root privileges even when you boot it again.
That’s it. You now have root privileges on your OnePlus 7T Pro. The patched boot image comes from XDA member HolyChickenGuy. In case there’s an update available on your phone, you can follow the steps given below to preserve root access and still installing the latest update.
How to install OTA update and keep root
- Disable all Magisk modules, before installing the update.
- Go to Settings > System update and click the Settings icon on the top right corner.
- Tap on ‘Local upgrade‘ and select the downloaded OTA file needed for installing the update.
- Click Install.
- Wait till a few minutes for the update to be installed.
- Do NOT reboot.
- Open Magisk Manager.
- Go to Install > Install and click on Direct Install.
- Inside Magisk Manager, head over to Install/Install/Inactive Slot.
- Manually reboot the OnePlus 7T Pro.
Source: XDA (HolyChickenGuy)