Well, some good news here, folks! The OnePlus 5 root is now available, meaning you can now gain superuser access on the OP5, and use your favorite root apps for some super cool stuff right away.
Though, that’s not really the first step, as you would need to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5 first. So, achieving root access on OnePlus 5 goes in this order: unlock bootloader, then install TWRP, and then dead-simple method to gain root access.
We have covered everything below in our guide to help you root OnePlus 5 easily, so do check it out now.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. For help, use this link .
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging:
- Go to your phone’s Settings » About phone » and tap “Build number” Seven/Ten times. This will enable Developer options on your OnePlus 5.
- Now go to Settings » Developer options » and look for “Enable OEM unlock” option, tick the checkbox next to it.
- On the same page, also tick the USB debugging checkbox.
- Connect your phone to PC and open a command window on the PC.
- Reboot your OnePlus 5 into Bootloader/Fastboot mode by issuing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
└ Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
- Once it is booted into Bootloader mode, issue the following command to finally unlock bootloader on your OnePlus 5:
fastboot oem unlock
└ This will unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 5 and also completely wipe your phone while doing that. So make sure you backup everything important on your device before unlocking the bootloader.
- Once the bootloader is unlocked, your OnePlus 5 will automatically reboot. In case it asks for bootloader unlock permission on the device, accept it.
That’s all. Your OnePlus 5 bootloader should be unlocked now and you can install/flash a custom recovery like TWRP on it.
OnePlus 5 TWRP downloads and guide
Do not try anything given on this page if you do not know completely what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
The stuff given on this page is compatible only with the OnePlus 5. Do not try this on any other device as you might end up damaging your device.
- Download OnePlus 5 TWRP recovery .img file from the download link above and save it to a separate folder on your PC.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC. For help with that, follow this link .
└ Skip if you’ve already have ADB setup on your PC.
- Enable USB debugging on your OnePlus 5:
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Go to About phone and tap seven times on Build number, this will enable Developer options.
- Now go back to Settings and you’ll see Developer options there, open it.
- Tick the USB Debugging checkbox.
- Open the folder where you saved OnePlus 5 TWRP Recovery .img file in Step 1 above.
- Now open a command window inside that folder. To do that, “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Connect your OP5 to the PC. And type the following into the command window we opened in Step 5 above to boot your device into bootloader/fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
└ If you get a permission dialogue on your OnePlus 5 to “Allow USB debugging”, tap OK.
- Once your OnePlus 5 boots into bootloader mode, issue the following command into command window to flash the TWRP recovery .img file:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
└ Here modify twrp.img with the name of your TWRP recovery .img file, OR change your TWRP recovery filename to twrp.img and use the command above.
- Once TWRP is successfully flashed on your OnePlus 5, issue the following command to reboot:
That’s all. TWRP recovery should be installed on your device now. To boot into the freshly installed recovery, simply issue the adb reboot recovery command from command window when your device boots into the system.
OnePlus 5 Root Guide
Once you have installed TWRP recovery, you can now root your OnePlus 5 pretty easily.
- Download and transfer the SuperSU zip file from the download link above to your OnePlus 5’s storage.
- Boot your OnePlus 5 into TWRP recovery.
- Tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the flashing process.
- Once SuperSU is flashed, you’ll get Reboot System option, select it.
That’s it. Your OnePlus 5 is rooted. To verify, download/install any root checker app from the Play Store.