Moto X Play users have a reason to celebrate today. Thanks to Android development community, you can install the Android 8.0 Oreo update on the Moto X Play, thanks to release of an unofficial build of the LineageOS 15 ROM for the device.
With the LineageOS 15 ROM, which is based on Android 8.0, you can run the latest OS on your Moto X Play. On Android 8.0, you get to play with new features in Oreo like Autofill, new Settings app, picture-in-picture, new notifications center, notification snooze, etc. stuff.
Moto X Play LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Moto X Play (codename: lux). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto X Play
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moot X Play.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moot X Play in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.