Motorola launched the Moto E2 smartphone a couple of years back. At the time of the launch, the Moto E2 was one of the best entry-level smartphones, that offered a great value for the price at which it was offered at. But now that the device is a few years old, it is hard to predict if the company will push the new software updates on time. And we’re not tlakign monthly security patches here, we’re talking the big one, the Android 8.0 Oreo update.
Now, Motorola sure as hell is not going to release the Oreo update to Moto E 2nd Gen. In fact, we’re not sure even Moto E4 and E4 Plus Oreo would be released by the company, let alone on for the Moto E3.
So, if you own a Moto E2, and want to have a run at Android 8.0, the LineageOS ROM is your best shot. In its latest version, the LineageOS 15, based on Android 8.0, which is now available for the Moto E2, you get to do that.
The LineageOS community is very rewarding and here, you can find tons of supported ROMs for your smartphones and the Moto E2 is no exception. In fact, for this smartphone, LineageOS 15 itself is available, which is based on Android 8.0 Oreo. This is not the only smartphone for which the ROM is available and we covered the others as well like the Xiaomi Moto E2, Galaxy Note 10.1, etc.
Do make a note that the LineageOS 15 ROM we have here is an unofficial one, as the official builds of LineageOS 15 are yet to go live. Needless to say then, that you have to expect it to be not so stable at the moment.
Also, the ROM is compatible with only Moto E2 4G/LTE, that comes as codename surnia. If you may or may not know, the smartphone is available in two models. One is Surnia, which is the 4G/ LTE variant powered by a Snapdragon 410 SoC and the other one is a 3G variant called Otus, that is powered by with a Snapdragon 200.
Moto E2 model nos. that comes with codename surnia:
Moto E2 LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Moto E2 4G/ LTE, codenamed Surnia/Styx. Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you do not know completely what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
- LineageOS 15 for Moto E2
- Android 8.0 Oreo Gapps (same for both devices)
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (Link to be updated when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto E2
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moto E2.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto E2 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.