Our guess on when Samsung Galaxy Note will get Android 4.2 update from Samsung is as good as yours, as also on whether it will indeed get one, but we’re sure the original Note will have its share of custom ROMs based on Android 4.2 pretty soon.
Even though Android 4.2 has hit the AOSP and is thus available for download for those who are keen to port it to device of their choice, it hasn’t happened that quick this time around as it used to be with earlier Android builds.
Google has changed the code — and also working with it — a lot — which is why we’re still good number of days away from new Cyanogenmod or AOKP ROM, as also other casual latest Android 4.2 AOSP ROMs for even the flagship devices of this year and last year, including the Galaxy Note.
But anyway, thanks to iGio90, there is a custom ROM now available on the Galaxy note, which is based on Android 4.1.2 actually, but comes pre-installed with cool Android 4.2 apps — new clock app, new Android 4.2 keyboard with swype to write feature, etc. Sure, one can install these apps manually by visiting the linked pages, but to have them pre-installed is even better.
And apart from that, it wows to get you the best of popular ROMs like AOKP, Cyanogenmod and ParanoidAndroid, with features like 8-apps lock screen, SonyBravia Engine libraries, settings from AOKP and Cyanogenmod, etc. Excited? Let’s check out its installation guide.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Note, model number N7000. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Galaxy Note
- As flashing requires factory reset from recovery mode, it’s highly recommended you backup your contacts, bookmarks, SMS, MMS, Call logs, APN (internet) settings, etc. first before heading to download stage. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Also, be sure to remove sim card lock, in case set it earlier. To check, go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » make sure the checkbox is not selected.
- Make sure you have clockworkmod recovery installed. If not, download the one for your Note’s build number from here (a zip file it is) and then extract it to get .tar file of the cf-root file, which is what you need. Flash the .tar on your Galaxy Note using Odin to Root and install Clockworkmod Recovery on your note. If you want help, check this guide of cf-root for Galaxy S3, and follow the steps there, except that you have to use your own file, not of Galaxy S3’s, of course.
- Now, after backup has been done and sim card lock removed, download the latest version of the ROM from the source page here. (DO NOT extract this file!)
- Copy the JallyBam ROM’s file you just downloaded to phone now.
- Now, to flash the JellyBam ROM with Android 4.2 apps and lots of other cool features, boot into ClockworkMod recovery — do this: make sure the phone is off, then press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power keys together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
(In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select items.)
- Do a factory reset — select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Install the ROM — select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM zip file on the SD card and select it.
- Once the ROM’s flashing is done and you are back to recovery’s screen, select go back and then, restart the phone using reboot system now. First boot might take time, so have patience.
NOTE: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM in case you don’t like JellyBam, flash the XXLC1 firmware by following the guide → here.
That’s it. You have the JellyBam ROM installed on your Galaxy Note. In case developer missed out on other Android 4.2 Apps, you can get them here: Android 4.2 Camera and Gallery app, Gmail 4.2 (with pinch-to-zoom feature), etc.
Share your opinion about the ROM with us below in comments section, ans if you need any help, be sure to ask.