But hey, take note of this: This is not an official update from Motorola. As we made it clear in the title too, the Moto G4 Plus Oreo update here comes as LineageOS 15 ROM, which is a custom ROM based on Android 8.0.
We’re not sure whether Motorola is looking to roll out an Android 8.0 OTA for the G4 Plus or not, as they haven’t announced their Oreo release plans yet, even though they made it explicitly clear that the Oreo update for their Moto G5s and Moto G5S Plus is in the works.
Update 19 September: Motorola has confirmed that Moto G4 Plus will get Oreo update.
So, this is an aftermarket firmware, an unofficial Oreo update for your Moto G4 Plus. BTW, the G4 Plus is not the only device which has graced the Android 8.0 update via LOS 15 ROM, in fact, the same ROM is also available for Moto G5 Plus, Moto X Play, Moto G, Moto G2, Moto X2, Moto E2, etc. device.
Check our full device list of LineageOS 15.0 ROM here.
With this new ROM, you get to play with all the new Android Oreo feature like Autofill, new Settings app, picture-in-picture. Check out the full set of Android Oreo features here.
However, as mentioned earlier, this is not an official update from Motorola, but is an aftermarket custom ROM, and that too in its initial development phase, hence, don’t expect it to very stable just yet. Give it some time, and with future updates, this build should be improved further.
Moto G4 Plus LineageOS 15 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
Compatibility and Warning
This ROM is only compatible with Moto G4 Plus (codename: athene). Do not try this on any other device.
Warning: Do not try anything given on this page if you are not entirely aware of what you are doing. In case any damage occurs, we won’t be held responsible.
Note: Check out the development page here at XDA for latest download link and changelog. (To be updated with a link when available.)
How to Install the LineageOS 15 on Moto G4 Plus
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your Moto G4 Plus.
- Boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of the screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto G4 Plus in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your smartphone.