OnePlus released the Android 10 update for the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T smartphones earlier this month. Although the update brought some major features to last year’s OnePlus flagships, there were several issues that were found within the system as soon as the update was installed.
If you too have been experiencing too many problems on Android 10 and wish to go back to Android Pie, you are in luck as OnePlus has made available the rollback packages to let the users who so wish to, to downgrade their OnePlus 6/6T devices from Android 10 back to Android 9 Pie. If you wish to get back to a more stable OxygenOS 9.x system based on Android 9, follow the instructions down below.
Downgrading your system from Android 10 to Android 9 will wipe your data. Backup all your important data to a PC before attempting this.
- OnePlus 6 rollback package (Android 10 to Android 9 Pie)
- OnePlus 6T rollback package (Android 10 to Android 9 Pie)
How to downgrade OnePlus 6/6T to Android 9 Pie
Before we check out the procedure to downgrade, here’s what you need to know.
The downloads and guide given here are compatible only with the global variants of the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T.
Make sure you have fully backed up all the data you need from your phone to a safe place because the downgrade process will result in a factory reset, thus wiping all the data on the phone. It will be like a brand new device.
You can even consider syncing the folders on your device to Google Drive for automatic backup.
How to roll back to Android 9 Pie
Once you are sure you have backed up your OnePlus 6/6T as per your requirement, you can proceed to roll back from Android 10 to Android 9 Pie using the step-by-step guide below:
- Download the rollback package for your specific device from the ‘Downloads’ section above.
- Copy the rollback zip file just inside the Internal storage.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Head over to System and tap System Updates.
- Click on the gear icon at the top right.
- On the pop-up, tap Local Upgrade.
- Locate the zip file that you copied in Step 2 and select it.
- Click Confirm.
- The update will now start installing.
- The installation will take a few minutes.
- When complete, your OnePlus device will reboot and you’ll boot into a fresh build of Android 9 Pie.
That’s it! You can get back to OxygenOS based on Android 9 Pie without running into any issues. You can later upgrade to Android 10 through the local updater once OnePlus fixes the problems.