The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S is the company’s current Mix series flagship. The Xiaomi Mi Mix was launched and gave birth to the ‘Bezel-less’ display trend. Although, the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S isn’t as hyped as the original Xiaomi Mi Mix due to the fact that there isn’t any major change in design now.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S isn’t a slouch in the hardware department though and can keep its own when compared to other current flagships on the market. Powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 coupled with 6 or 8 GB RAM depending on which storage variant you pick up the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S is more than well equipped to be future proof.
While on the subject of ‘future proof’, we’d like to let you know that the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S can now be updated to the latest Android 9 Pie.
Let’s take a look at how to get you rocking the Android 9 Pie update on the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
Related articles that you may like:
How to install Android 9 Pie on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
You can grab the latest update for your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S from the link below. To install, follow any of the two guides below, although the simplest one is Method 1 below, that uses the local updater option within the Settings app. Super easy.
Download either one of the two ROMs below to install the global stable Android 9 Pie ROM on your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S:
- Local Update ROM | 1.6 GB
- Fastboot ROM | 2.5 GB
Which ROM should I download?
Well, updating the phone using system ROM is easiest. See Method #1 called ‘local update’ for this. If this doesn’t work for you, then you may use the Fastboot ROM, for which, method #2 below will help you.
How to Install
We would recommend you to use the Method #1 given below as this is pretty easy. Method #2 requires an unlocked bootloader, which voids the warranty of the device.
Method 1: Using System update menu (local update)
- Download the System ROM recovery update file from the link above.
- Transfer the update file to your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S if you downloaded it on PC.
- Open the Settings app, and tap on About phone.
- Tap on System update.
- Tap on 3-dot menu button in the top right.
- Tap on Choose update package.
- Browse and select the update file you downloaded above.
- The system will verify the update and install it automatically. When it asks for confirmation, do confirm to allow installation. Be sure to back up important data as the update installation may delete apps and data.
In case the above method doesn’t work, know that you can use the Method 2 below to install using the fastboot method.
Method 2: Using Fastboot
- You will need to unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S first for this as fastboot is locked by default. Take your time doing this.
- Download MIUI ROM Flashing Tool.
- Download the fastboot update file from the table above. Be sure to check that the file you downloaded ends with .tgz extension (not .zip).
- Turn off your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S and press the Volume + Power buttons simultaneously to enter into Fastboot mode. Connect the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S to your PC using a USB cable.
- Double click on the downloaded ROM file and decompress it.
- Open the file folder for the decompressed package and copy its path on your computer.
- Decompress the MIUI ROM flashing tool downloaded in Step 1.
- Double click on it to install on your PC.
- When the installation is done, open MiFlash.exe file.
- In its address bar, paste the folder path of the ROM file you copied above.
- Click on the yellow circled-out button to refresh and MiFlash will automatically recognize your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
- Click the red circled-out button to flash the ROM file to the device.
- Sit back and watch the progress bar inside MiFlash turn fully green, implying that the new system update has been successfully installed on your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S will reboot automatically and you have the update running.
Let us know how you feel about the Android 9 Pie update in the comments below.