Update [August 21, 2018]: We think you would love to know that an Android 9 Pie GSI ROM is now available, although it’s in a very early, testing stage right now. This is as stock a ROM as you could get but as of this date, it’s not recommended for installation. Rather, the ROM below is your best choice for now.
Though, you can still install the Android 9 Pie update on your OnePlus 5/5T using the unofficial route, thanks to the availability of a Pie based custom ROM. Read below to find out how you can do that.
OnePlus 5/5T Android 9 Pie update
- This is an unofficial update
- It’s a custom ROM (AOSP based)
- Official update by OnePlus expected in December 2018
- Unofficial Android 9 Pie update ROM:
- Android 9 Gapps
- Required TWRP recovery (TWRP 3.2.3 or above required)
How to install
Before you go on to install the ROM based on Android 9 for your OnePlus 5/5T, be sure to read the known issues with the current version of the ROM at the development page linked right above. If that’s okay with you, then go on to install the ROM using the guide right below.
- Make sure you have the OxygenOS 5.1.4 or above installed.
Find latest OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T updates here. [Firmware here: 5/5T]
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery 3.2.3-1 or above installed. Find the guide to install TWRP on OnePlus 5/5T here.
- Download the latest Android 9 ROM and Gapps files from above.
- Take the appropriate backup of your device as this will need a factory reset, which would delete everything on the device.
- Once the above is done, let’s install the unofficial Android 9 Pie update (AOSP ROM) on your OnePlus 5/5T now. Transfer the ROM and Gapps files to your OnePlus 5/5T.
- Reboot into recovery mode to access TWRP. For this:
- Power off the device.
- Press and hold power and volume down buttons together for a few seconds until you see the OnePlus logo on the screen. You will see the TWRP soon.
- [Careful!] Tap on Wipe, and then perform the swipe action at the bottom to perform a factory reset on the device. This will delete everything except the content on internal storage and SD card. Make sure you have a backup of contacts, app data, etc. stuff.
- Install the ROM. Go back to home screen of TWRP, and then tap on Install button, select the ROM file, and then do the swipe action again to install the ROM.
- Install the Gapps file the same way as the ROM file.
- Tap on Reboot system button after installing the Gapps file to restart the device. That’s it.
Your OnePlus 5/5T will boot with the Android 9 Pie update now. It’s an unofficial update but it’s pretty good one.