OnePlus just released the first public beta of Android 8.0 Oreo to OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T devices. The update comes with a handful lot of new features such as Picture in Picture, enhanced notifications, redesigned quick settings panel, Auto fill, Notification dots (in launcher) and more.
The update is currently available under the beta channel as OxygenOS Open Beta 25 for OnePlus 3 and Beta 16 for OnePlus 3T. If you’re running a beta firmware on your OP3/3T, you’ve probably already installed the Android 8.0 Oreo beta update from OnePlus.
While the Oreo beta from OnePlus comes with great new features from the latest and greatest release of Android, but it comes with its fair share of bugs and issues. OnePlus has acknowledged the following as Known issues in their Open Beta Oreo update:
- Fingerprint actions may be slower than you are used to.
- Shortcut to access Google Photos is unavailable
- Some stability issues with NFC and bluetooth
- Performance and compatibility of 3rd party apps will continue to be optimized
However, there could be more bugs/issues present on the beta release than the ones mentioned by the company. But that’s okay, bugs/issues is the reason why OnePlus put it out into the beta channel, not as an official release.
If you installed the OnePlus 3/3T Oreo beta update and wish to downgrade back to Nougat. OnePlus has provided special builds which you need to flash via recovery mode to roll back to Nougat — Open beta 24 for OnePlus 3 and Open Beta 15 for OnePlus 3T.
Download the special builds to downgrade OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T from Oreo to Nougat from the download links below and then follow instructions carefully to complete the downgrade process. Also, be sure to backup all your important data on the phone since downgrading from a major version of Android may result in loss of data. As far as we know, you’ll lose all your app data and stuff, but other files on internal storage like pictures, music, documents may remain.
Below are the firmware files you’ll need to downgrade from Android 8.0 Oreo to Nougat. These are special builds of the Nougat based Open Beta builds for OnePlus 3 and 3T released by OnePlus specifically to downgrade from Oreo Beta to Nougat Beta. Do NOT use them for any other purposes.
How to downgrade OnePlus 3 and 3T from Oreo to Nougat
There are two methods for installing Nougat beta downgrade firmware on your OnePlus 3/3T running on Oreo. Both methods involve use of the stock recovery, but the former is much convenient if you’re on mobile and don’t have access to a PC.
Method 1: Install directly from phone’s internal storage
- Download and transfer the Nougat firmware .zip file to your OnePlus 3/3T’s internal storage (don’t put it inside any folder).
- Boot your device into recovery mode.
- First switch off phone.
- Press and hold Power + Volume down buttons together until you see the recovery screen.
- Select “Install from Local” option.
- Select the Nougat firmware .zip file you transferred in Step 1 above, and install it.
- Once installation is finished, your phone will automatically reboot into the system. If not, select reboot from recovery mode.
Method 2: Install from PC via ADB Sideload
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Download the Nougat downgrade firmware .zip file on your PC and rename it to nougat-downgrade.zip.
- Enable USB debugging:
- Go to your phone’s Settings » About phone » and tap “Build number” Seven times. This will enable Developer options on your phone.
- Now go to Settings » Developer options » and tick the USB debugging check box.
- Connect your OnePlus 3/3T to PC.
- Now open the folder where you downloaded the Nougat downgrade firmware .zip file and then open a command window inside the folder. To do that, do a “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Now issue the following command in the command window to reboot your device into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
└ Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
- Once in recovery mode, select “Install from USB” option and then tap on OK. You’ll see “You are in sideload mode” displayed on screen.
- Now issue the following command to finally begin installing the Nougat firmware on your OnePlus 3/3T:
adb sideload nougat-downgrade.zip
└ This will begin downgrading your OP3/3T from Oreo to Nougat.
- Once the Nougat downgrade firmware is installed, your phone will automatically reboot into the system. If not, select reboot from the main menu of recovery.