Samsung may not have been the first to adopt the 18:9 aspect ratio display, but it certainly brought out the unique appeal with rounded corners on the display. Since then, the likes of Apple and even Google has replicated the same on devices like the iPhone X and the Google Pixel 2 XL, and it certainly has a rich appeal to it.
There have been multiple attempts to bring the beautiful element of rounded corners to even devices that don’t have them, with apps like Cornerfly. However, such apps don’t seem to work as well with the latest Android 8.0 Oreo version, but for the owners of Google Pixel 2, there is a silver lining. Since SystemUI restrictions on Android Oreo do not allow apps to draw over elements like the navigation and status bar, this made apps like Cornerfly do only half the job.
How to enable rounded corners on Google Pixel 2
The latest SystemUI APK for Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL includes a class called “RoundedCorners”, which can be edited to get rounded corners on the Google Pixel 2.
Step 1: Set things up
- Enable Developer Options by heading over to Settings – About Phone – Build Number and tap it 7 times to see a toast message.
- Head over to Developer Options – USB Debugging and confirm.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Connect your Google Pixel 2 to the computer using a USB cable.
- Type in the command “adb devices” to confirm that the Pixel 2 is successfully connected.
Step 2: Edit the “RoundedCorners” class
Using the command lines given down below, you can change the round size of the corner and the content padding to make sure that the elements don’t overlap when you use an app such as Cornerfly to get rounded corners.
- Run the command
adb shell settings put secure sysui_rounded_size 26.0
- Run the command
adb shell settings put secure sysui_rounded_content_padding 8.0
The values given above are what is set by default on the Google Pixel 2 XL, so using these values on the Google Pixel 2 will get you the rounded corners of the latter.
Step 3: Use Cornerfly to get rounded corners on Google Pixel 2
With the edits made to the system, getting rounded corners is just an app away. Start off by downloading the Cornerfly app using the link given down below.
- Open the Cornerfly app and grant it Usage access to get rounded corners.
- Once the permission is granted, you’ll be able to see rounded corners right way.
- The size of the rounded corners is set to 12 by default, and you need to make an in-app purchase to unlock variable sizes.
- You can even change the appearance of rounded corners for individual apps by heading over to the Applications.
Love the sleek new look from Google Pixel 2 XL on your smaller Google Pixel without spending the extra $200?