When Google decided to bury the mighty Nexus lineup, it brought about its very own line of flagship devices, deemed with the Pixel branding. The second-generation flagship from Google, the Pixel 2 XL is by any means a winner for the company — check out bets phones at Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T to get some idea — but the device has its fair share of issues.
One such recurring issue has been the complaint of several users that the dual front-facing speakers on the Pixel 2 XL are less than perfect. Several users have reported hissing sounds from the earpiece in the past, which Google fixed last month, but the speaker distortion issue continues to arise. One crafty user by the name of RealCaracas over at the XDA Forums has figured out a way to solve Google Pixel 2 XL speaker issue, and you get to try it out too.
How to fix the Pixel 2 XL speaker distortion issue
Step 1: Disable the MusicFX app service
Google has created its very own equalizer sound engine with the MusicFX, and it seems like there’s where the sound issue is arising.
- Head over to the Settings app and scroll down to find the Apps
- Press the three-dot menu icon on the top-right corner and select Show System.
- Scroll down to find MusicFX (com.android.musicfx) and press the Disable
Step 2: Install a third-party equalizer app
With the stock music equalizer app disabled, you’ll need to fetch one of the many great third-party equalizer apps available on the Google Play Store. According to the user, the Equalizer FX app seems to do the trick, so we will use it for the purpose of this tutorial too.
- Download the Equalizer FX app from the Google Play Store
- Open the app and using the equalizer filter, you can reduce the frequency of the sound.
- For instance, you can try to reduce the 910Hz frequency down to -7db to get rid of the sound distortion for good on the Google Pixel 2 XL.
Did this quick and easy fix help you finally reduce the distortion element from your Google Pixel 2 XL speakers? Be sure to let your peers know in the comments section right down below.