We feel you you, Samsung users. Android 5.0 is rolling out for Nexus devices, Moto X and Moto G 2014 editions and LG G3 rollout is also around the corner (confirmed by LG). But apart from leaked firmware videos from SamMobile, Samsung users have no clue when and which of their devices will be getting the Android 5.0 update.
Samsung has a device portfolio that would scare anybody off. There are literally 30+ Samsung Android tablets out there in various 7, 8.9, 10.1, WiFi, LTE, Tab S, Tab 4, Note, Note Pro, Tab Pro ..oh God! I’m already having a headache. And don’t even ask about the Android phones from Samsung, that’s huge huge list. Not even worth talking about because Samsung itself doesn’t care for most of them. The company is such a sales monster.
Anyway, my point with mentioning all those Samsung Android devices is that Samsung has a lot of devices to update to Android 5.0, and that makes the process of developing/pushing out the update goddamn slow for the company. Motorola has a very short list of devices to update to Android 5.0, so they did it quickly. But for larger companies like Samsung the Android 5.0 Lollipop update process can go for 8-9 months (upto July 2015).
icon-hand-o-right READ: Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Schedule for Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola and LG
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, P7510, was released in 2011 so there’s not even a slightest chance that the Android 5.0 update will officially make it to the tablet. If you happen to own this device, your only means to get the Android 5.0 Lollipop update is via Lollipop based AOSP ROMs.
You’ll also have hopes in the upcoming CM12 ROM, which will be the Lollipop based version of the highly popular CyanogenMod ROM. The CM12 nightlies are rumored to be released by the end of November or early in Dec. 2014. Officially, the CM12 will be available for a selected few devices only. But you’ll see a lot of unofficial ports of CM12 for various devices from independent developers.
icon-hand-o-right READ: CyanogenMod 12 a.k.a CM12 coming soon to a phone near you
Getting CM12 on Galaxy Tab 10.1 will take time, and with all the madness going around with the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, nobody wants to wait to get Lollipop flavor on their Android devices. So a big thanks to developer decatf over at XDA for developing an AOSP based android 5.0 Lollipop ROM for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi) P7510.
Surprisingly, the ROM is by far the best Android 5.0 AOSP ROM that we’ve seen. Almost everything is working on the ROM except the Hardware keyboard dock and Google Text to Speech engine. The camera too is slightly buggy, but works. It just crashes when you switch between the front and rear camera.
Although not very stable, we’d suggest you to try out this ROM, because it’s on Android 5.0 Lollipop! It may not prove to be your daily driver at this time, but we’re sure decatf get this ROM rocking within no time.
|Name||Android 5.0.0 Lollipop (LRX21M)|
|Android Version||Android 5.0 Lollipop (Released on November 3, 2014 by Google)|
|Is this official?||No.|
It’s an AOSP based ROM. Official update from Samsung isn’t expected for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510.
|Development page link →||XDA Developers|
icon-download Download Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM for Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510 (153.07MB)
File name: p4wifi-ota-eng.username.zip
Download Android 5.0 Lollipop Gapps (150+ MB)
File name: gapps-lp-201411xx-signed.zip
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have a backup of your important files.
- Make sure your device is Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510, do NOT try to install this ROM on any other device.
- Install a custom recovery (TWRP) on your Galaxy Tab 10.1.
- Transfer/save the two zip files you downloaded above to your Galaxy Tab 10.1.
- Boot into Recovery mode:
- Turn off your tablet and wait until it’s completely switched off.
- Press and hold “Volume Up + Power” and release them as soon as you until the boot logo screen.
- Once in recovery mode, select Wipe » and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Do a Advanced wipe as well, select Wipe » select Advanced Wipe » tick the check box for system and then do a “Swipe to wipe” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select “Install”.
- Navigate to the file where you saved p4wifi-ota-eng.username.zip ROM file, select it and then “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Now similarly flash the gapps-lp-201411xx-signed.zip file like you flashed the Android 5.0 ROM file above.
- After flashing both the files, reboot your phone. Go back to the main menu, select Reboot » select System.
That’s all. Your Galaxy Tab 10.1 will now boot with Android 5.0 Lollipop. Be extremely excited for this.