Samsung’s recent announcement that Ice Cream Sandwich would not be coming for the best-selling Galaxy S seems to have spurred the developer community into churning out custom ROM after custom ROM for this fantastic device.
Here we go again with another custom Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for the Galaxy S GT-i9000. Many of you must have already tried out OneCosmic’s Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on your Galaxy S phone. Developer Stockplus has just released a new custom ROM, based on OneCosmic’s RC3 release, and has included a number of fixes and tweaks in his version ─ hence the name RC3Plus. The ROM is based on the exact same framework and kernel as OneCosmic’s RC3 release, but includes, like I mentioned earlier, fixes and improvements.
Have a look at the changes incorporated by StockPlus in this ROM below:
- Installation Script – cleaned
- Installation Package – compressed
- Modem change: to XXJVU (the ‘value pack’ leak one) – not changed in 9000B version
- Visual change: boot animation (darker more vivid)
- Deleted doubled busybox in /system/bin/
- System app: change: Contacts for T9 dialer (number->contacts)
- System app: fix: NetworkLocation (so it actually works)
- System update: busubox updated from 1.8.1 to 1.19.3
- App added: OI File Manager
- App added: Aries Parts (to control kernel functions)
- App added: NSTools (to control kernel functions) – updted in v3
- App added: Galaxy Live Wallpaper
- App added: Google Books Tablet
- App added: Google Movie
- App added: ThinkFree Office
- App added: Google Music application
- App added: Spirit FM (you still need to set it up manualy)
- App added: Sim Toolkit App
- App removed: Google Plus (incorrect signature)
- App removed: Phonesky (doubled market)
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM is compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S i9000. Please do not attempt to flash it on any other device. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device.
Now that we have gone over the features, and the customary compatibility heads up, lets move on to see how we can get this brand new ROM up and running on your devices.
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up, before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you. This Android backup guide would help you. And if you’ve rooted your Galaxy S, you can save application’s data too, using Titanium backup (free app on android market) to backup apps with data. And use this app only again to restore those apps with data.
- Make sure your device is rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed
- Fully charged battery
- Remove sim card lock, if you have it set. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Download the ROM file: Download Link. File Name: I9000_STOCKPLUS_ICS_RC3-PLUS_v3.zip | Size: 164 MB
- Transfer the ROM’s zip file that you downloaded above in step 2 to your phone’s internal sdcard
- Install XXJVU firmware first.
- Root and install CWM recovery on XXJVU.
- Power Off your Galaxy S. Wait for 5-6 seconds until you feel the vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Then, press and hold these 3 buttons together: VolumeUP+Home+Power till the Galaxy S logo shows up on-screen. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. (In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option. Use back key to go back).
- Do a “wipe data/factory reset”. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. (This will NOT touch your SD cards, do not worry).
- Do a “wipe cache partition”.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”, then scroll to the “I9000_STOCKPLUS_ICS_RC3-PLUS_v3.zip” file you transferred in step 3 above and select it. Then select “Yes, Install ____.zip”. The ROM will now start installing.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu & select “reboot system now”.
- That’s it, You should now be running StockPlus RC3Plus Ice Cream Sandwich on your Galaxy S
You can follow developments and updates to this ROM in the development thread here. If you want to share your experience with this ROM, or have any comments, do let us know in the comments box below.