WT ROM is a new Gingerbread XXKPH firmware based custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (international variant), with the graphical UI based Aroma Installer that lets you install the ROM through a touch enabled interface. The ROM features improved performance over stock firmware, along with the following features:
- Deodexed, Rooted & Busybox
- Lidroid Quick Panel (aka 13 status bar toggle buttons with long press)
- Advanced power menu (added Reboot, Recovery & Download)
- TouchWiz Launcher 4.5, GO Launcher EX
- Three choices of boot animation (can be selected during installation)
- Change ro.product.model to GT-I9000 for better market compatibility
Keep in mind that this ROM is only for the international Galaxy Player YP-G70 model, so don’t try it on the US variant of the device.
Read on to find out how you can install WT ROM on your Galaxy Player 5.0.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the international Galaxy Player 5.0, model number YP-G70. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t completely know what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Developer → WT Ho
How to Install WT ROM on Galaxy Player 5.0
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Important! Make sure you install rj’s custom kernel before installing WT ROM. You can use this guide to install the kernel.
- Important! Make sure you have a minimum of 200 MB free space on the internal SD card.
- Download the latest version of WT ROM from the original development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the internal SD card on the device.
- Turn off the device. Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache » Yes – wipe dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu by selecting go back.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen.
- After a few seconds, the Aroma installer will show up. Follow on-screen instructions to install the ROM, then click Finish at the end to go back to CWM recovery.
- Then, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your device.
The XXKPH based WT ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Player 5.0. Visit the official development page to get more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.