Although all android handsets are by default well capable of wifi tethering, by which you can share your mobile’s internet connection to laptops (or any other wifi equipped devices), some carriers block it and enable only if you subscribe to tethering plan and pay them some bucks to activate it. Well, this is what AT&T has done with its Samsung Skyrocket too.
But if your Skyrocket is rooted, you can easily enable wifi tethering without the need of any dedicated tethering app for that. If it’s not, root Skyrocket first and then see below to enable WiFi tether the easy way.
Since you’re rooted, it’s safe to assume you are already making full use of it and have this cool app, Titanium Backup, already installed. If not, install it and use this one to keep backup of all your apps (and their data too) — it’s a very handy and one of the reason why people root their android device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
To enable WiFi portable hotspot without subscribing to any AT&T plan, all you need to do is freeze the tetheringmanager app using titanium backup app. The try the WiFi sharing under wireless and network settings and it should work. It’s easier than using any other app from the market — which is a good choice too — which would enable the WiFi hotspot capability using root access on your phone.
If you didn’t get the above, there is guide for you just below.
Enable WiFi tethering on Skyrocket (step-by-step guide):
- Open Titanium Backup app
- Tap on Backup/Restore tab at the top
- Tap on Click to edit filters (located just below the top right)
- In the Filter by name field at top, type tetheringmanager and tap on Apply
- App will find the tetheringmanager app and will list it to you. Tap on it to get a pop-up of options.
- One of the options there is to Freeze the app. (Freezing an app keeps the app installed but stops it from working.)
- That’s it, We’re done with Titanium backup’s part. Quit the app by pressing back key several times.
- Now, go to Settings > Wireless and network > Tethering and portable hotspot and enable WiFi tethering. It should work even if you don’t have a working tethering plan subscribed on your mobile number.