If you are using Moto G 3rd Gen in US, with model no. of your device being XT1540, then we have the latest OTA update available for download for you with easy installation procedure.
The OTA update provided here is for 16GB variant only, btw, with model no. XT1540. Hence, don’t use it on 8GB variant, with model no. XT1548.
Moreover the 23.41.44 update is sized over 30MB, and while it doesn’t bring a lot to the device already running Android 5.1.1 — Android 6.0 should be dropping by January — it’ still an important one as it fixes the Stagefright bug on the device.
Unlike international Moto G 3rd Gen sets (XT1550) whose update also featured addition of Night mode camera, the US sets already had that feature and hence it’s not part of this it. Which leaves us to Stagefright fix, and other small bug fixes, and that’s all about the changelog of the Update.
The software version after the Update should be 23.41.44.
- OTA update — Link | File: Blur_Version.23.41.44.osprey_retus_2gb.retus.en.US.zip (30 MB)
- USA Moto G 3rd Gen, model no. XT1540 (16GB model)
- Don’t try on 8GB variant (XT1548) or any other Android device with a different model no.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Download the official Moto G 3rd Gen OTA update from above.
- Connect your Moto G 3rd Gen to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Boot your Moto G 3rd Gen to recovery mode. (Make sure you have stock recovery, ant not a TWRP/CWM recovery.)
- Disconnect the phone from PC, and then Power off it.
- Press and hold both volume buttons with power button until you see anything on screen. This is bootloader mode.
- Now, use volume button to bring Recovery menu, and then press power button to select it. You will progress towards recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. This is no command screen. Just press and hold power button for 3 seconds and then press Volume up button once to enter recovery mode.
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the OTA update file using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
Need help? Let us know in comments section below.