The G series earned its reputation when Motorola marketed the idea of selling stock clean smartphones that performed well and received timely updates. Motorola’s Moto G4 seems to be one of the early candidates to have received the official port from CyanogenMod yo Lineage OS.
The Moto G4 sports mid range specs thereby positioning itself competitively in budget markets. Now that the fate of Motorola’s updates remains in Lenovo’s hands, loyal fans may be beginning to doubt the credibility of the manufacturer. Thankfully, custom ROMs like Lineage OS enable the device to experience the best that Google brings to the table.
Since this is an official release of Lineage OS, the ROM can be expected to be used as a daily driver, but it’s preferably safer to flash the Nightly builds. If you’re the daring type and are dying to find out what’s new with Lineage then by all means go ahead with the experimental builds.
Motorola Moto G4/G4 Plus Lineage OS
- Official build: Available, check the download link below:
- Lineage 14.1: Download link
- Gapps: You need this to get Google Play Store app, Play Services App, and other Google apps.
- Lineage OS 14.1 Gapps: Download link
Note: You must have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device to be able to install Lineage OS. Also, you will need to download and flash root addon package separately as Lineage OS only provides root via ADB.
How to Install Lineage OS on Motorola Moto G4
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps package zip file that you downloaded above to your Moto G4.
- Boot your Moto G4 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your Moto G4 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now flash the Nougat Gapps file similarly, just the way flashed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your Moto G4 .
That’s all there is to it. Lineage OS is now installed on your Motorola Moto G4 (athene).