CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY INFO
|Name||ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery|
|Version||NON-Touch version: 184.108.40.206|
|Compatibility||Fully functional with Android 4.1.2|
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page!
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. You have been warned!
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be GT-S5280/GT-S5282!
Please know that this page is meant only for Samsung Galaxy Star (GT-S5280) and & Star Duos (GT-S5282). Please DO NOT try the procedures given here on other device of Samsung or any other cmpany.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN..
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Star/Duos in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on sd card, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
INSTALL SAMSUNG GALAXY STAR DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully flash CWM on your US Cellular Galaxy S4. In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your Galaxy S4 on your computer.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICES
If your android device, or PC, powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure both of them are adequately charged and that no power interruption takes place when the process is undergoing — at least 50% battery of the device and laptop is what we would recommend.
OTHER THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF:
└ Use original USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
└ Do not use the procedures given below on Mac (using VMWare) as it works best on proper Windows PC only.
If you haven’t used Odin software to flash a recovery on a Samsung galaxy device before, we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Btw, the video below shows installing CWM on Samsung Galaxy S3 (yes, not S4!), but as the process is exactly same, it doesn’t matter.
GUIDE: CWM RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY STAR/DUOS
Download the Odin and CWM file given below. Save these files in a separate folder on your computer (just to keep things tidy, that is).
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip (951 KB)
CLOCKWORKMOD (CWM) RECOVERY FILE
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: S5280_S5282_cwm_220.127.116.11.tar (9 MB)
Once you’ve finished downloading the file given in downloads section above, follow the instructions below for installing CWM recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Star/Duos.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation arises requiring you to do a factory reset after flashing CWM recovery, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on PC.
- Extract/Unzip the Odin zip file, Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip on your computer (using 7-zip free software, preferably) to get this file: Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Move the CWM file, for non touch version it is S5280_S5282_cwm_18.104.22.168.tar in the same folder in which you extracted Latest Odin3 v3.09.zip (Just for your convenience, that is). So, now you’ll have the following files in that folder:
- Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Disconnect the Galaxy Star/Duos from PC if it is connected.
- Double-click the Odin3 v3.09.exe file to open Odin.
- Boot your Galaxy Star/Duos into Download Mode:
- Connect Galaxy S4 to PC. Odin window will show an Added!! message in bottom left box. Odin’s screen would look like this:
If you don’t get the Added! message, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure you have installed driver for Galaxy S4 as said above in ‘Before you begin..’ section.
- If you have already installed driver, then uninstall them and reinstall back.
- Connect using a different USB port on your PC.
- Try a different USB cable. The original cable that came with your phone should work best, if not, try any other cable that’s new and of good quality.
- Reboot phone and PC and then try again.
- Load the recovery file into Odin as instructed below:
- Now in the Option section of Odin, make sure that Re-Partition box is unchecked. (Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes remain checked, while all other boxes remain unchecked.)
- Double check the above two steps.
- Click the Start button to begin flashing CWM recovery on your Galaxy Star/Duos, and wait until you see a PASS! message in Odin’s top left box.
- When you get PASS! message, your phone will restart automatically. You can then disconnect your phone from PC.
- ClockworkMod Recovery has installed successfully on your Star/Duos.
If you see FAIL message instead of the PASS in Odin’s top left box, that’s a problem. Try this now: disconnect your Galaxy Star/Duos from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
Also, If device is Stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then too, try this: disconnect your Galaxy Star/Duos from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
That’s all. If you need help regarding this, feel free to ask us in comments below.
Btw, to boot your Galaxy Star/Duos into Recovery Mode:
- Power off your phone first and wait for 6-7 seconds after display is off
- Press and hold these 3 buttons together until you see anything on screen: Volume Up + Power + Home
It was easy to get ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Star Duos, right? Let us know how you plan to use it.
Your suggestions, and queries if any, are most welcomed!