Nexus 7 2013 ClockworkMod Recovery
What is a nexus device running on stock AOSP ROM and stock kernel? It’s no good, in our opinion. There are a monstrous number of custom ROMs each with there own uniqueness. And not just Custom ROMs but a variety of mods and kernels are available too. But how to install/flash all that cool stuff? You, my friend, need a custom recovery.
So, here we will guide you on how to flash the most famous and reliable recovery i.e. ClockworkMod Recovery on your Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi only variant). With this recovery, you won’t be just able to flash the custom ROMs/kernels/mods but also do awesome things like making a nandroid backup and other stuff.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be Nexus 7 2013 edition WiFi only Variant, without 3G/sim | Codename: flo!
Do not flash this on other variants of the Nexus 7.
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to install the ROM on your Nexus 7 2013 (edition) in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
INSTALL GOOGLE NEXUS 7 DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully install a firmware on your Google Nexus 7. In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your Nexus 7 on your computer.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICE
If your android device powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure your device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
If you haven’t flashed a .img file using fastoot, then we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Just fyi, the video below shows how to unlock bootloader of HTC One X using adb commands, but the procedure is mostly same. So, once you are finished with video, jump to downloads and step-by-step guide below.
GOOGLE NEXUS 7 (2013 edition) CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY
Download the files given below.
- ClockworkMod Recovery file: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: recovery- clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-flo.img
- Fastboot Files: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: nexus7-fastboot-files.zip
Make sure you have backed up your tablet adequately (including important data stored on internal memory).
- Extract/Unzip nexus7-fastboot-files.zip file on your computer (using 7-zip free software, preferably).
- Copy the recovery- clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-flo.img file to the folder where you extracted nexus7-fastboot-files.zip.
- Put your Nexus 7 in bootloader/fastboot mode:
- Switch off your Nexus 7
- Hold Volume Up Key + Volume Down Key and then press the Power button
- You’ll see a Android robot. And the first line on the bottom left corner would read FASTBOOT MODE in red
- Open the folder where you extracted nexus7-fastboot-files.zip.
- Hold Shift Key plus Right Click key and select Open Command Prompt Here from the menu. (The image below is for Nexus 5 but opening Command Prompt directly from the folder is the same)
Reminder: Make sure you have copied the file recovery- clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-flo.img to the above folder.
- In the command prompt window type in the line below and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery- clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-flo.img
- If everything goes fine, ClockworkMod recovery will be successfully flashed on your Nexus 7 2013 (Flo).
- You can boot into recovery by:
It was easy to install ClockworkMod recovery on your Nexus 7, right? Let us know how you plan to use it.
Your suggestions are most welcomed!