Thank Motorola for finally allowing unlocking the bootloader of their Android devices (or curse them for taking so long), as it has allowed the easy porting of ClockworkMod recovery to the RAZR HD, which is now available for download.
ClockworkMod (CWM) is a custom recovery that allows you to install custom ROMs, kernels, make ROM backups and restores, and more on an Android device, and thanks to XDA Senior Member epinter, RAZR HD owners can also enjoy the world of custom ROMs.
However, this CWM recovery is only for the international/non-Verizon RAZR HD, with model number XT925. Do not try it on the Verizon RAZR HD as it is not supported (as Motorola doesn’t allow unlocking its bootloader). Also, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your RAZR HD for CWM to work, which voids warranty, so make sure you are okay with that before you go ahead with the procedure.
Now, let’s see how CWM recovery can be installed on the Motorola RAZR HD.
This guide is applicable only for the Motorola RAZR HD, model number XT925. Do not try this on the Verizon RAZR HD or on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CWM Recovery on RAZR HD XT925
- Backup everything on your phone, including the data on the internal storage, as flashing CWM requires unlocking the bootloader, which erases all data on the phone. To backup contacts, SMS, apps, etc, take the help of this Android backup guide. If you already have an unlocked bootloader on your phone, you can skip the backup.
- [Important] Make sure the bootloader on your RAZR HD is unlocked. You can unlock the bootloader by following the official procedure at the Motorola website → here.
- Download and install the Android SDK → from here. This will install the necessary drivers for the phone on your computer. Skip this if you have already installed Android SDK/drivers while unlocking the bootloader in step 2.
- Download Fastboot, which will be used for flashing CWM recovery.
Download Fastboot | Filename: Fastboot.zip
- Download CWM recovery.
Download CWM | Filename: cwmrecovery6015-xt925_20121104-epinter.img
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it. To keep things easy, extract the Fastboot folder to drive C.
- Copy the cwmrecovery6015-xt925_20121104-epinter.img file to the “Fastboot” folder.
- Turn off your RAZR HD. Then, boot into the Boot Mode Selection Menu mode by holding down the Vol Up + Vol Down + Power buttons together. Then, using the volume buttons, scroll down and highlight AP Fastboot, and select it using the power button.
- Then, connect your RAZR HD to the computer with your USB cable, then wait for Windows to finish installing the drivers (drivers will be installed only the first time). For reliability, ensure that you use a USB port at the back if you are using a desktop computer, as the front panel ports can be loose and cause problems.
- Click on Start menu » All Programs » Accessories » right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. If you are using Windows 8, this can be done by right-clicking on the extreme bottom left corner of the taskbar, then selecting “Command Prompt (admin)”
- Now, perform the following steps in the command prompt to flash CWM recovery:
- Navigate to the Fastboot folder which you obtained in step 6. For example, if the Fastboot folder is in drive C on your computer, enter cd C:Fastboot in command prompt (and press Enter) to navigate to the folder.
- Then, enter fastboot devices. If your RAZR HD has been detected properly, you will see a device ID show up in command prompt. If nothing comes up, make sure you have installed the drivers (step 3).
- Finally, to flash CWM recovery on the phone, enter the following command:
fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6015-xt925_20121104-epinter.img
- After the recovery is flashed, type fastboot reboot-bootloader. This will reboot your device into the Boot Mode Selection Menu again. Here, highlight and select Recovery to reboot into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, you can use the volume buttons to scroll and power button to select options.
- [Important] The first time you reboot from ClockworkMod recovery, you will be asked whether you want to disable stock recovery. Just select Yes, otherwise the stock recovery will be restored on next reboot and you’ll have to redo the procedure for installing ClockworkMod recovery.
- Your phone now has ClockworkMod recovery installed.
ClockworkMod recovery is now installed on your Motorola RAZR i. Do let us know how it works!