It’s getting a little irritating now. Almost every day we are seeing a newer Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update firmware leak for the Galaxy S3. While with each update Android 4.1.1 is getting better and better on the phone, we really wish the update is rolled out to the public soon so people don’t need to try out these leaked firmware.
Well, on to the new update. The update has the firmware version XXDLI3, and is the newest update leaked for the Galaxy S3 as of 7-9-2012. The guide below will walk you through the steps required to update your Galaxy S3 to the XXDLI3 firmware and check out the latest Android 4.1.1 firmware.
Keep in mind that this is a leaked pre-release firmware and has not yet been officially released by Samsung and hence could have some issues, so you should wait for the official update to come out if you’re not comfortable with manual flashing. But you can still try it out, as you can always flash back to an Android 4.0 firmware later if needed.
Let’s take a look at how the XXDLI3 Jelly Bean Android 4.1 update can be installed on the Galaxy S3.
This guide to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware is compatible only and only with the international Galaxy S3, model number i9300. It’s not compatible with the US variants or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install XXDLI3 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S3
- [Important!] You might need to wipe data during this procedure. So makes sure to backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you. Backup all the SD card files, including camera photos, music, etc as well as those also might get erased during the flash as this is a leaked firmware
- [Important!] Flash the stock XXBLG8 firmware on your phone by following the guide → here. The update will fail to flash on any other firmware or on custom ROMs, as it needs the phone to be on the XXBLG8 firmware. Keep in mind that this may require you to wipe data on your phone, so be sure to make a backup (see step 1).
- Download the Jelly Bean OTA update file.
Download XXDLI3 OTA | Alternate Link
Filename: GT-I9300_I9300XXDLI3-OTA-I9300XXBLG8_BTU_297529585.zip | Size: 283 MB
- Copy the GT-I9300_I9300XXDLI3-OTA-I9300XXBLG8_BTU_297529585.zip file to the internal storage on your phone.
- Turn off the phone. Then, boot into stock recovery. To do so, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select apply update from sdcard (or apply update from internal storage), then scroll to and select the GT-I9300_I9300XXDLI3-OTA-I9300XXBLG8_BTU_297529585.zip file to start installation of the Jelly Bean OTA update.
- After installation is complete, the phone should reboot automatically. If it does not reboot, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot up into the newly installed Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware.
The latest leaked Jelly Bean OTA update is now installed on your Galaxy S3. Do let us know how it works for you and the things you notice in the firmware (like bugs, improvements or new features).
If you wish to, you can also try out few custom Jelly Bean ROMs for the Galaxy S3 → here.