Get the Android 4.4 Kit Kat update on your Xperia Z Ultra with RevolutionRom AOSP ROM. The ROM has been made from AOSP source code for Android 4.4 that Google released after the official announcement of Android 4.4 KitKat, and is built upon CM’s base for Android 4.3.
Since it’s one of the first builds of Android 4.4 for Xperia Z Ultra, we’d not recommend it as a daily driver for your phone. Check out the list below for current issues with this ROM.
- Bluetooth not working
- Video Playback (HW Decoder) not working
- RIL (Calling) not working
- Mobile data not working
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be C6802/XL39h/C6806/C6833/C6843!
Do not use the procedures discussed here on any other device. You have been warned!
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to install the ROM on your Sony Xperia Z Ultra in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
INSTALL SONY XPERIA Z ULTRA DRIVERS
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully KitKat on your Xperia Z Ultra. Download and Install the Xperia Drivers from the link below. Be sure to re-start your computer after installing these drivers.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICE
If your android device powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure your device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
If you haven’t used a custom recovery, either CWM or TWRP, before, to install a .zip file of a ROM on anything else, then we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Just fyi, the video below shows installing a .zip file (of recovery) on Galaxy S3, but it doesn’t matter as the process remains exactly same. So, once you are finished with video, jump to downloads and step-by-step guide below.
XPERIA Z ULTRA REVOLUTION ROM KITKAT INSTALLATION GUIDE
Download the files given below.
- RevolutionRom boot.img: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: boot.img (8.1 MB)
- RevolutionRom system.img: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: system.img (352.9 MB)
- Google Apps: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: pa_gapps-ODEX.zip (187.23 MB)
- SuperSU Root: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip (1 MB)
- Fastboot and adb files: DOWNLOAD LINK
File name: Fastboot and ADB files.zip (0.78 MB)
Make sure you have backed up your phone adequately (including important data stored on internal memory). Also create a nandroid backup using your recovery for additional safety.
NOTE: To be able to flash files using Fastboot, you first need to unlock bootloader on your Xperia Z Ultra.
FLASH BOOT.IMG AND SYSTEM.IMG
- Unzip/Extract Fastboot and ADB files.zip (using 7-zip free software, preferably) to a separate folder on your computer
- Transfer/Copy the boot.img and system.img files that you downloaded above to the folder where you extracted the contents of Fastboot and ADB files.zip
- Connect your phone in fastboot mode
- Now open a command window inside the folder where you transferred the files in Step 2. For that, first open the folder, then press “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder and select “Open command window here” option from the context menu
- Now flash the ‘system.img‘ file on your phone from the command window. Type/Paste the command given below in your command window and hit enter. This may take some time so be patient!
fastboot flash system system.img
- Once the system.img file is flashed successfully, flash the ‘boot.img‘ file. Type/Paste the command given below in your command window and hit enter.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Disconnect your phone from computer once boot image is flashed successfully
└ Your phone will automatically reboot after disconnecting from computer with Android 4.4 installed. But it will not have Google services (like Play store) and root installed by default. You’ll have to flash them through recovery.
FLASH GAPPS AND SUPERSU FOR ROOT
- Transfer the Gapps file (pa_gapps_ODEX.zip) and SuperSU file (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip) that you downloaded from the downloads section above to your phone. And remember the location where you transferred the files.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode. For this:
- Switch off your Xperia Z first
- Switch it back on and the time when you see your phone’s LED notification light turn purple or pink, start pressing Volume Up button a few times
└ Once in recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate up and down between options in recovery and Power button to select an options
- Install the pa_gapps-ODEX.zip file first. For this:
- Now flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip file in a similar way as you flashed the Gapps file in the step above.
- Once done flashing both the files, reboot your phone by going back to the main menu of recovery and select ‘Reboot system now‘
That’s all. Your phone will now reboot into RevolutionRom Android version 4.4 KitKat with Gapps and Root installed.
It was easy to install KitKat, right? Let us know how it tastes 😉
Your suggestions are most welcomed!
Via XDA (krabappel2548)