Another day–Another MIUI v4 ROM, seems to be the mantra of this week. MIUI sure is the flavor of the season! Well, there seem to be MIUI4 ROMs being ported for every Android device worth its ice-cream (pun intended). And this time around, we have a brand new MIUI 4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for a not-so-brand-new, but still capable device, the original Android smartphone from Sony Ericsson, the Xperia X10.
This old warhorse has already seen 4 iterations of the Android OS: 1.6 or Eclair on release, then 2.1, and subsequently an upgrade to Froyo 2.2, and finally the upgrade to 2.3.3 Gingerbread in mid-2011. And now, it seems to be gearing up to taste some Ice Cream Sandwich!!
XDA member Oodie, has managed to release a very early Alpha Preview of MIUI v4, called the Oodie Prime. Keep in mid though, that this is a preview version, and not a stable or for that matter a semi-stable release. The ROM is based on FXP CM9 (Free Xperia Project), and hence, inherits all of the bugs that FXP CM9 currently has. What it also means is that as FXP CM9 improves, we can expect Oodie Prime to become more stable as well.
The ROM is definitely not suitable for daily usage; as a matter of fact, even the phone and text applications do not work. But if you have a spare device, you can go ahead and try this out on your X10, if not for anything else, but to see what MIUI 4 looks like and what features you can expect. Have a look at the working/not working status from the developer’s thread:
Not working .
- Mostly everything is not working ( wtf ? )
- even msg & phone isn’t working yet . ( please see if that 3rd party apps are working )
- UI, Music, file manager, gsm
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only with the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. Please do not attempt to flash it on an incompatible device, as it could cause damage to your device and brick it. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About device.
- Rooted X10 with Clockworkmod Recovery. (If you are not rooted, you can use this guide to root and install recovery via Flashtool)
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure your X10 battery is fully charged
How To Install Oodie Prime MIUI4 ICS Preview Alpha on the Xperia X10
Instructions quoted from developers post:
- Flash the kernel via Flashtool & Flash the rom from recovery ( Do a full wipe before flashing )
- Reboot . Reboot will take a long time. Please wait.
- After boot . please give it some time to settle & reboot again. (remember to enable USB debugging from developer options menu)
- Try out the rom . Then flash another stable rom for daily use
You can visit the original development thread for this ROM to check progress updates and user experience. If you’d like to share your thoughts o have any comments, please use the comments box below.