Have fun Sony Xperia L users! Your device just got an AOSP based Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM. The ROM comes from developer varun.chitre15 and is in alpha stage at this time, the Wifi, Bluetooth, RIL (phone and data) and GPS aren’t working at this time but it should soon get fixed.
The Xperia L isn’t expected to receive Lollipop update officially from Sony, although the device runs on 1GB RAM and a dual-core processor which are pretty doable for running the Lollipop on any phone. Yet, anyway, we don’t expect Sony to upgrade this phone as even the last year’s KitKat update wasn’t pushed to the Xperia L.
To install AOSP based Lollipop ROM on your Xperia L, you’ll need to first unlock the bootloader on your device as the ROM doesn’t come in a recovery flashable zip. You’ll need to flash/install it in the fastboot mode which requires an unlocked bootloader.
Without further ado, let’s see how to install Android 5.0 on your Xperia L.
Download Xperia L Android 5.0 ROM [AOSP] (190.5 MB)
File name: c2105_alpha1_android-5.0.0_r2_fastboot.zip
Fastboot and ADB files (919 KB)
File name: adb_and_fastboot_files.zip
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files (music, photos, documents, videos, etc.) stored on your Xperia L before proceeding with the steps below. Your device internal storage will be completely wiped so make sure you backup any/all of your important files on a PC.
- Make sure your device is a Sony Xperia L. Do NOT install the ROM on any other device.
- Unlock the Bootloader on your Xperia L (process is similar to Xperia Z).
- Extract the c2105_alpha1_android-5.0.0_r2_fastboot.zip file on your PC (using 7-zip, preferably). You’ll get the following three files:
- Extract/Unzip the adb_and_fastboot_files.zip in a separate folder on your PC. You’ll get the following files:
- Now Copy/Paste the three files you extracted in Step 3 to the folder where extracted files in Step 4. All your extracted files should be in one folder.
- Boot your Xperia L into Fastboot mode:
- Switch off your Xperia L first
- Press and hold the Volume Up button
- Connect the device to your PC using a USB Cable while holding down the Volume Up button on your Xperia L
└ Before plugging in the USB cable on your Xperia L make sure that the other end of USB cable is already connected to the PC.
- Your Xperia L should be in Fastboot Mode now and the device’s LED light should turn into Blue
- Open the folder where all your extracted files are saved (refer Step 5) and then open a command window inside that folder. Press “Shift + Right click” inside the folder on any empty white space and select “Open command window here” from the context menu
- Now issue the following commands one by one to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Xperia L. This might take time, so have patience.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- Once you’ve successfully flashed boot.img and system.img and also wiped the userdata. Then reboot your Xperia L using the following command:
- Your Xperia L will now reboot with Android 5.0 Lollipop installed. Be extremely excited for this!
That’s it. You should now have Android 5.0 Lollipop rocking your Xperia L. However, since this is a AOSP based ROM, you will not have Google services like Play store and Play services framework. For this you’ve to install Android 5.0 Gapps on your Xperia L. Get it from the link below: