With two Android 5.1 ROMs releasing for Redmi 1S in as many days, the development is going on like crazy for the device. These are unofficial updates, but they are kind of very cool and get you amazing set of features, something which an official update would never get you.
The official update from Xiaomi is still a long way if it ever comes, chances of which are very, very slim. And if you got bored of MIUI on your Redmi 1S, then the appeal of material UI from Lollipop can make it impossible for you to not go ahead and try out the coolest of ROMs like CM12.1 and AICP, both of which are available now.
What about official update release?
Chances are very slim that Xiaomi would bestow the Redmi 1S with an Android 5.1 Lollipop update. Don’t hold your breadth for this, but anyway, there are good custom ROMs available already installing which you can upgrade your M9 to 5.1 pretty easily, unofficially, all by yourself. No OTA required.
Benefits and drawbacks of the unofficial update
Well, the custom ROMs get you plenty of useful options along with customization choices that you’ll find hard to resist once you’ve used them. You can sure try out the ROMs available and settle on the one that satisfies you the most. You get Android 5.1 OS, something not possible otherwise, along with new animations and feature additions of the update.
While, on the downside, you basically lose warranty of your device when you decide to root or install custom recovery on your device. That looks bad, but isn’t. Because what you get in return totally dominates the bad here. Superuser access and extra functionality from root apps including Xposed, and ability to install custom ROMs and create nandroid backup from recovery, far outweigh the negative side of the proposal here.
Removing the unofficial update?
Simply install the official firmware back and you’re as Xiaomi left you. Both custom recovery and ROM would be uninstalled.
Note: You know, because this ROM is not an official Xiaomi Android 5.1 update for Redmi 1S, there are chances you could find few kinks at some of its corners. Any major bugs will be reported below.
Xiaomi Redmi 1S Android 5.1 Lollipop update
CyanogenMod 12.1 (CM12.1)
Camera HDR mode
Alarm when device is charging or powered off
Android Ice Cold Project (AICP)
Same as that of CM12.1
NOTE: When downloading a ROM, do check its development page first for newer and more stables builds, if any available, with less bugs. Since the 5.1 ROMs are under heavy development, consider this a must.
More Android 5.1 based ROMs to be added as and when available.
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Transfer the ROM file and Gapps file to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save them.
- You need TWRP recovery for this. Get it from here. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
- Boot into Recovery mode.
- Make a backup. Once in TWRP recovery, take a backup of your current ROM. Select Backup, then do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen. Wait for the backup to finish, it’s a time consuming process.
- Wipe your device. Once the backup is finished, do this: tap on Wipe, then Advanced wipe, and then select Cache, Dalvik/ART cache and Data. Then do the “Swipe to wipe” at bottom to ready the device for ROM flashing by erasing the cache, dalvik cache and data in one shot.
- Install ROM now. Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install. Navigate to the file where you saved your ROM’s zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Also install the Gapps the same way as ROM.
- Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
Your device will now reboot with Android 5.1 update!
In case you need any help over this, let us know. And, you can thank the developer for creating the ROM.
Android 5.1 update is also available on:
- Samsung: Note 4 (AICP) | Note 3 | Note 2 | Galaxy S5 (all models) | Galaxy S5 (Sprint and Verizon) | S4 (Verizon) (LTE) | S3 | AT&T S3 | S3 LTE
- Google: Nexus 4 | Galaxy Nexus
- OnePlus: One
- LG: G3
- HTC: One Max | One M7
- Motorola: Droid Razr | Moto G (SOKP) (Hyperdrive) | Moto X 2014 (SOKP) (official soak test) | Moto E 1st Gen (CM12.1) (SOKP)
- Sony: Xperia Z Ultra | Z2