WeUI is a new Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 based custom ROM for the Galaxy S i9000 which brings you MIUI 4′s beautiful UI and intuitive features with added improvements. The most amazing feature of the ROM is its installation procedure, which presents you with a touch-enabled graphical installation menu in ClockworkMod recovery, a first for the Galaxy S. The installation menu lets you wipe data, make apps selection and more before you install the ROM with a few clicks.
Bear in mind that WeUI is in the testing stage and is based on MIUI 4 which itself is under development, so expect bugs and issues to be present in the ROM.
Read on to find out how you can install WeUI ROM on your Galaxy S i9000.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Galaxy S, model number I9000. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t exactly know what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → nightshack0
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install WeUI ROM on Galaxy S
Important Note: If you are on an AOSP based ROM like CM7, CM9, MIUI 4 or any other Ice Cream Sandwich based ROM, skip step 1. If unsure of what ROM you are on, follow all steps.
- Flash AOKP ROM by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to your internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm installation.
- Wait a few seconds till a screen saying Welcome to WeUI Installation comes up.
- Press Next twice till you come to the device selection screen. Select Samsung Galaxy S here to install the Galaxy S version of the ROM. Press Next again to go to the next screen.
- Here, select the Wipe Data and Cache / Factory option, then press Next.
- Select/deselect the apps you want to keep/remove from the ROM on the Customize app installation menu, then press Next.
- Select the launchers you wish to install with the ROM in the Launcher installation screen, then press Next.
- You’re now ready to start installing the ROM. Press Next to proceed.
- Wait the while till the ROM is installed. When installation is finished, press Next twice to reboot your phone.
Once the phone boots up, you’ll be running WeUI ROM, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 on your Galaxy S. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.