If you have a Verizon Moto X 2013, it’s the day for you, as was the case with Galaxy Tab Pro users, who also received the 5.1 update today while on KitKat.
The Lollipop update for Verizon Moto X users should mean a lot, btw, as they really deserved the Android 5.0 update since January this year. Finally Moto X users at Verizon can taste the Lollipop update, and with it, its smooth animations, fluent UI and what-not.
If you are still using Moto X on Verizon, go to Settings > About device and then tap on ‘check for update’ button now to force your phone to grab the OTA for you.
Software Version: 222.21.39.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.USvzw
- Volume settings panel icons added to match icons in status bar.
- Quickly select different Wi-Fi accessory or Bluetooth devices with the added pull-down controls.
- Minimum swipe distance increased to reduce accidental interactions if Ambient Display is enabled
The update also fixes Stagefright bug, btw, which is what we think Verizon meant when it said ‘Android security patches’.
And do feedback us on how the Android 5.1 update is treating you and your Moto X. Any performance boosts?
Download Verizon Moto X 1st Gen Android 5.1 OTA
- Android 4.4 OTA (serves as base for 5.1) — Link | File: Blur_Version.212.166.3.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US.zip (3.9 MB)
- Android 5.1 OTA — Link | File: Blur_Version.212.166.4.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US.zip (712 MB)
There is one more 4.4 OTA available here, in case you need it, which serves as base for the 4.4 OTA above. If you really didn’t update your device for long time now, you might this one too to start with
- Verizon Moto X 1st Gen (2013 edition), model no. XT1060
- Don’t try on any other Android device with a different model no. that XT1060!
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty Although it is pretty safe to install an OTA update, but you only will be held responsible if anything bad happens upon following the procedure given below.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
Step 1. Download the official Moto X OTA update from above.
→ Download the 4.4 OTA update first, unless you are already on that as it is base on which Android 5.1 OTA would install. So, follow this guide for 4.4 base OTA first, and then for the 5.1 OTA. Let me know via comments below if you are in doubt with anything in this regard.
Step 2. Connect your Moto X to PC using a USB cable.
Step 3. Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
Step 4. Reboot your Moto X to recovery mode.
- Disconnect the phone from PC, and then Power off it.
- Press and hold both volume buttons with power button until you see anything on screen. This is bootloader mode.
- Now, use only volume down to move the selection to Recovery and then use volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. Just press and hold power button for 3 seconds and the while holding it, press Volume Up button once. You will enter recovery mode, and should see stock 3e recovery.
Step 5. In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
Step 6. Now, select the OTA update file using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
Step 7. When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
Need any help? Give us a shout in comments below.