The latest stable release of AOKP ROM – based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 – is Milestone 6, and has been ported to the Verizon Galaxy S3 by XDA Forum Member beanstown106. AOKP ROM is famous for its inclusion of a high amount of customization options as well as improved performance over stock ROMs, as well as providing the pure Android experience without any custom OEM skins and bloatware.
Keep in mind that this is an unofficial port of AOKP and there may be a few bugs and issues present in the ROM, though mostly everything works fine and the ROM is suitable for daily use.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an AOSP based ROM, some features like 3G video calling will be unavailable as those are only possible on stock Samsung ROMs (video calls using 3rd party apps like Skype will work fine though). Some other features specific to Samsung ROMs will also not be available.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP Milestone 6 ROM can be installed on your Verizon Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Verizon Galaxy S3, model number SCH-i535. It’s not compatible with other US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 6 on Verizon Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into ClockworkMod recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons for about 3 seconds after the screen turns on. The phone will soon boot into recovery.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into AOKP Milestone 6 ROM. The phone might reboot twice while booting up, which is normal and expected.
- Important! Once the phone boots up, the welcome screen will start up. Here, touch the four corners of the screen clockwise starting at the top left to skip the welcome screen and setup wizard. Then, go to Settings » More.. » Mobile Networks » Select network mode, and set it to LTE/CDMA. Then select RUIM/SIM in CDMA Subscription. You can then continue to set up your Google account by opening the Play Store or the Gmail app.
AOKP Milestone 6 ROM is now running on your Verizon Galaxy S3. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.