Even though it’s not Android 5.1 update for your Verizon Galaxy Note 3, the new OF1 OTA update is still pretty much a must-have. First up, it fixes the critical vulnerability called Stagefright, something that is causing an OTA update almost all major Android devices. FYI, it’s based on Android 5.0.1.
Verizon’s own Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge receive the update with Android 5.1.1 a while ago, while nearly all popular Android sets on other carriers like Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. have also received this update.
But Stagefright fix is not all the OF1 update is about. We’re looking at minor improvements throughout the OS, and some apps specifically.
If you haven’t received the OF1 update on your Verizon Galaxy Note 3 yet, try to pull it manually from Settings > About device > Software update. Time to smash the ‘check for update’ button now.
- Fixed an issue where in some cases the Alarm Clock does not start up
- Fixed an issue where sometimes the “Answer calls with voice command” was not working
- Fixed an issue where sometimes the user is getting white squares on lock screen ONLY instead of #s
- Fixed an issue in some rare cases when removing or adding icons/widgets on any of the home screens the display shows the Touch Wiz force close notification
- Fixed an issue related to Camera Application crashing only in Easy Mode
- Implemented a change to prevent lockout of the device after a software upgrade (affects devices that have been encrypted)
- Improvements to the Reactivation lock (lost or stolen device security)
- Android security patches (includes Stagefright fix!)