AOKP ROM – famous for its advanced customization options – is still making the transition to Jelly Bean, but the advantage of having a Nexus device is that you can try out ROMs much earlier than owners of other devices, and that too in a properly working form. A preview build of AOKP based on Jelly Bean has been released by the AOKP team for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, which works awfully well though it has only a few customization options of AOKP at this point.
NOTE: This is only a preview build of AOKP, so while everything works properly, don’t expect to find many customization options that you’re used to in AOKP ROM to be present here, as those haven’t been added to the AOKP Jelly Bean code yet.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean can be installed on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean Based AOKP ROM on Verizon Galaxy Nexus
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Important! Make sure the bootloader on your phone is unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus. You can use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit to unlock bootloader and install recovery. Unlocking bootloader will erase your SD card files and all data, so make sure to take a backup (see step 1).
- Download AOKP ROM.
Download AOKP | Filename: aokp_toro_jb.zip
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone (do not extract the files).
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do this, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up + Volume Down to enter Fastboot mode where you will see “Start” written in big green letters. Then, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery mode option, then select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery mode.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the aokp_toro_jb.zip file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install aokp_toro_jb.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP based on Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Check out AOKP Jelly Bean for the international Galaxy Nexus → here.