CUSTOM ROM INFO
|Name||CyanogenMod 11 aka CM11 (Unofficial Build)|
|Android Update||Android 4.4, KitKat (Launched in Nov 13 by Google)|
|Is this official?||No, official update from Sony is expected in Feb-March 2014
|Stability||Good enough for daily use|
Let’s see how to install the Android 4.4 KitKat on your Xperia ZL.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be C6502/03/06.
Do not use the procedures discussed here on any other device of Sony or any other company. You have been warned!
BEFORE YOU BEGIN..
You must do this pre-installation stuff before attempting to install the Android 4.4 Update on your Xperia ZL in order to avoid any complications later, and have a smooth and successful process.
BACK UP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
CHARGE YOUR DEVICE
If your android device powers off due to lack of battery while the process is underway, it could damage the device.
So, make sure your device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
If you haven’t used a custom recovery, either CWM or TWRP, before to install a .zip file of a ROM on anything else, then we suggest you first watch a video of that, given right below, to get familiar with the process.
Just fyi, the video below shows installing a .zip file (of recovery) on Galaxy S3, but it doesn’t matter as the process remains exactly same. So, once you are finished with video, jump to downloads and step-by-step guide below.
SONY XPERIA ZL ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT ROM
Download the files given below and transfer them to a separate folder on your phone and remember the location.
Download Link | File name: pa_gapps-full-4.4-20131119-signed.zip (257 MB)
Also, if you are unable to get to download page, try using sites like unrestrict.li and rapid8.com to bypass any restriction. It’s normal.
For latest version of the ROM, check the original page →.
FASTBOOT AND ADB FILES
Reminder: Before you proceed, make sure you’ve transferred the files you downloaded above to a separate folder on your Xperia ZL.
Make sure you have backed up your phone adequately (including important data stored on internal memory).
NOTE: You must have a bootloader unlocked device. You could use the Unlock Bootloader Guide for Xperia Z for help.
- Extract this file, Fastboot and ADB files.zip, you downloaded above to any folder on your PC. For ease, let’s call it fastboot folder, with all fastboot and adb files from the Fastboot and ADB files.zip
- Now, extract the ROM file as we need the boot.img from it. Don’t delete the ROM file though.
- Copy the boot.img file — which contains the CWM recovery actually for your Xperia ZL — to the fastboot folder (from step 1).
- Now go to fastboot folder and open command window inside the fastboot folder. For this, press “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the Fastboot folder and then select “Open command window here” option from the context menu
- Now connect your phone in fastboot mode:
- Type the command given below in command prompt window and hit enter to install the CWM recovery by flashing the boot.img file
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Command prompt will show you a finished message once the boot.img is successfully flashed to your device
- Now, we will enter the command to reboot the Xperia ZL from fastboot. When it does, be sure to press Volume Up button several times when you see violet LED — which is lit for 3 seconds only while rebooting. Got it? Okay, let’s reboot the Z now and press Volume Up when you see LED light is ON
└ In case you miss it — that is, you fail to press Volume Up when LED was lit — and didn’t boot into recovery mode, try again. Just reboot the device again and press Volume Up when you see LED light is ON/lit.
- One in CWM recovery, we now flash the CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM based on Android 4.4, which will update your Xperia ZL to KitKat. But before we do that, it’s recommended that you create a Nandroid backup from recovery for safety and easy restore if you mess something up. For making a Nandroid Backup, go to Backup And Restore » Backup.
- Flash the ROM file:
- Now similarly flash the Gapps file as you flashed the ROM file.
└ Be sure to flash the ROM first and then the Gapps.
- Perform a Factory Reset (This will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). For this:
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm factory reset (screenshot)
- Reboot your device. For this, go back to the main menu of recovery and select reboot system now.
That’s all. Your phone will now reboot and it will take some time as it’ll be phone’s first boot after installing Android 4.4 — be extremely excited for this!
Note: In case your device gets bootloop (stuck at logo while rebooting), fix it by doing a factory reset (step 12 above) by booting into recovery mode.
If you experience force close for an app, try to clear the app’s cache and it should be gone.
It was easy to install Android 4.4 KitKat on your Xperia ZL, right? Let us know how it tastes to you.
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!