Now this is what you call super quick action. It has been only a few hours since Google dropped the source for Jelly Bean Android 4.1, and a stock Android 4.1 ROM built from those sources is already out for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, thanks to XDA Senior Member mmuzzy. The ROM is pre-rooted and works very well according to mmuzzy, with Wi-Fi working quite well compared to previous ROMs and with no noticeable problems.
Of course, this is only the stock Android 4.1 build, so we’ll have to wait a little while longer for customized Jelly Bean ROMs with added features to come out, but even a fully working stock ROM is a reason to celebrate. So take out your Galaxy Nexus, and let’s see how we can flash the Android 4.1 ROM on it.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Verizon Galaxy Nexus
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Important! Make sure the bootloader on your phone is unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus. You can use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit to unlock bootloader and install recovery.
- Download the Jelly Bean ROM from the official XDA page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone (do not extract the files).
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do this, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up + Volume Down to enter Fastboot mode where you will see “Start” written in big green letters. Then, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery mode option, then select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery mode.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, repeat step 8, but this time, select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package. Select Yes on next screen to confirm installation.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Jelly Bean Android 4.1. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now up and running on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Try it out, and let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.