The T-Mobile Galaxy S3 gets some more love in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROMs with HellFire ROM. Developed by XDA Recognized Developer x0xhellx0x, HellFire is based on the official CyanogenMod 10 ROM for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3, but with additional tweaks for better performance and with other customization and additional apps, including features such as Beats Audio, Samsung apps like S Voice, S Memo, etc.
However, keep in mind that HellFire ROM is not an official ROM by Samsung. It is a custom ROM under development and may have a few issues in it. Also, it is based on stock Android, so any Samsung-specific features will not be available and a few apps will be different from their original versions (such as the camera or gallery).
“You can also try an official Android 4.1 leaked firmware on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 → here.”
Read on to find out how you can install HellFire ROM on the T-Mobile Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S3, model number T999. It’s not compatible with other US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install HellFire ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here. Skip this step if you already have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 3 to the internal SD card. Do not extract it.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation of the ROM is complete, go back to the main recovery menu. Then, select advanced, then select Fix permissions. Then, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into HellFire ROM.
- After the ROM boots up, don’t do anything on the phone and let it sit idle for 5-10 minutes. Then reboot the phone, after which you can continue using it as normal.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 5), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
HellFire ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also try out a few other Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROMs for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 → here.