Looking to try out Jelly Bean, the latest Android release on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2? Now you can, as a CM10 ROM based on Jelly Bean has been released for the device, courtesy of XDA Senior Member Jamison904. While the ROM does have issues and bugs as it’s in its early development stages and is currently only an alpha release, it otherwise works pretty well and is great if you want to get a taste of Jelly Bean on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
Here’s the list of things working/issues in the ROM quoted from the developer (most updated list is on the development page linked in the guide):
- adb (you must turn on developer options)
- mic (sorta)
- switching to landscape in youtube app while watching a video causes a reboot
- in-call echo
- pretty much anything else. its alpha…..
Continue reading to find out how you can install Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean CM10 ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S2
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the ClockworkMod (CWM) Touch recovery on the phone by following the guide → here. (Skip if you already have CWM recovery installed on the device)
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Copy the 2 zip files downloaded in steps 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the phone (do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files on the SD card).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Jelly Bean. The first boot will take some time, up to 5-7 minutes, so be patient.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM is now installed and running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.