A couple of days ago, an official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware – SPRBLIF – was leaked for the Sprint Galaxy S3, and now a custom ROM based on that leaked firmware has been released by XDA Senior Member DroidModder – BlackJelly ROM.
The ROM is basically a stock Samsung Jelly Bean ROM, but has been rooted and includes a few other changes, such as black/blue theming throughout the ROM, an extended power menu, AOSP ringtones and wallpapers, and a few performance tweaks.
Keep in mind that this ROM is based on a leaked unfinished firmware and hence may have a few bugs present and may not be completely stable for every day use.
Let’s take a look at how the BlackJelly ROM can be installed on the Sprint Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy S3, model number SPH-L710. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for Sprint variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean Firmware ROM on Sprint Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here. Skip if you already have ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- Download the ROM.
- Copy the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the internal SD card. Do not extract it.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into BlackJelly ROM.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
The BlackJelly Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM is now installed on your Sprint Galaxy S3. Visit the source page for updates on the ROM, and let us know how it works for you in the comments.