Update Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 to Ice Cream Sandwich With XXLQ1 Firmware via ClockworkMod Recovery [Android 4.0]
A few days ago, Samsung started rolling out the official Android 4.0.4 update for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 – firmware version XXLQ1 – which was also made available for manual flashing via Odin. Now, for those that would prefer not to use Odin can update to the official firmware via ClockworkMod recovery, thanks to a recovery flashable update package released by the Android development community.
NOTE: Those running a stock Honeycomb ROM without any modifications will be better off using the Odin method to update manually. Find the guide for doing so → here.
Continue reading to find out how you can update to Android 4.0.4 on your Galaxy Tab 7.7
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, model number P6800. It’s not compatible with the P6810 or any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Update to Android 4.0.4 XXLQ1 on Galaxy Tab 7.7 via Recovery
- To be sure you don’t lose data, backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your tablet.
- Download the update file.
Download XXLQ1 | Alternate Link | Filename: P6800XXLQ1_ICS_IT168.zip
- Copy the P6800XXLQ1_ICS_IT168.zip file to the internal SD card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Power keys together. Once the tablet turns on, let go of power button but keep holding Volume Up button till the tablet boots into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use the volume keys to scroll up/down and the power button to select options.
- Select install zip from internal sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the P6800XXLQ1_ICS_IT168.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The update will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot into XXLQ1 Android 4.0.4 firmware. First boot will take up to 5 minutes.
The official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware is now up and running on your Galaxy Tab 7.7. Have fun!