Update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean with XXDLIB based InsertCoin ROM
InsertCoin is a custom ROM that is well known for HTC devices such as the Sensation or One X, and now the ROM has arrived for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Based on the Galaxy S3’s official Android 4.1 XXDLIB firmware, InsertCoin ROM is rooted by default and includes many tweaks for faster performance and smoother operation, along with other under the hood optimizations.
Let’s take a look at how InsertCoin ROM can be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S3, model number i9300. It’s not compatible with the US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install InsertCoin ROM on Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed. If not, use this guide to install it.
- Download the ROM from this link (the latest version of the ROM can be downloaded from the source page).
- Copy the ROM’s file to the internal storage (do not extract it).
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Perform a full backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM’s file and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation completes, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into InsertCoin ROM. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (like you did in step 5), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
InsertCoin ROM, based on Android 4.1 XXDLIB firmware is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S3. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.